Chapter 61

That Night at Jane's

Jane: Welcome, ladies.

Kim: Nice man cave.

Amanda: I'm hoping that CSU works a little faster than normal and we can be out of your hair soon.

Jane: Don't even worry about it. You guys can take the two spare bedrooms upstairs.

Kim: Man, they should put you up if your place is a crime scene.

(Cell phone rings)

Amanda: Listen, if my sister gets to be too much, you let me know.

Jane: She'll be fine. The question is, how are you doing?

Amanda: The sooner the paperwork's done, the better.

Kim: But what if that's not the way it happened? Can I-- can I call you back?

Amanda: Everything all right?

Kim: Yeah, I'm fine. I like it here.

Amanda: 'Cause I've got to get back, but we'll get supper tonight when I get home.

Kim: Sure. Anything you want. Maybe Chinese again. Amanda. I love you.

Amanda: I love you too.

A Little While Later at BPD with IA

(Knocks on door)

Kim: Sorry to bother you, Lieutenant.

Tucker: It's not a bother. What can I do for you?

Kim: Well, it's just that, uh, I hate to go behind Amanda's back, but there's something I need to tell you. Have a seat, Ms. Rollins.

Later with Amanda

Tucker: I appreciate you coming in, Detective.

Amanda: You said you had a few loose ends?

Tucker: Yeah. About your relationship with Jeff Parker.

Amanda: Okay.

Tucker: When did the two of you meet?

Amanda: Uh, my sister brought him home for Easter. Uh, 2010, I-I believe.

Tucker: That was in your hometown?

Amanda: Loganville, yeah.

Tucker: What'd you think of him? Well, your general impression. Did you like the guy, did you not like the guy?

Amanda: I don't know. I didn't really think much about him one way or the other.

Tucker: Oh, okay. How did you feel about him six months later in Atlanta?

Amanda: I don't know what you're referring to.

Tucker: When you slammed him against the wall and threatened to arrest him.

Amanda: Who told you that? Well, he had beaten my sister the night before. I mean, I had to take her to the ER.

Tucker: So, yes?

Amanda: Yes.

Tucker: Yes, you have a history of physical force and threats with the deceased.

Amanda: Well, he was a danger to Kim.

Tucker: Okay. Now four months ago, in your apartment in New York, you pulled a gun on Mr. Parker.

Amanda: He was attacking my sister.

Tucker: Did she say that?

Amanda: I saw it.

Tucker: How did he get in the apartment?

Amanda: Kim invited him in.

Tucker: Okay, so knowing that, you still said, "If you're not out that door in 30 seconds, I'll shoot you"?

Amanda: I may have said something like that.

Tucker: Did you also say, "You show up again, no warning"? Was he really attacking your sister or did you just not want this guy in your house?

Later at Jane's

Amanda walks in.

Kim: Amanda.

Amanda turns the TV off.

Amanda: Now what in the hell did you tell Tucker?

Kim: Okay, just listen--

Amanda: Did you tell him that I pulled my gun on Jeff last year?

Kim: I had to.

Amanda: You changed your story about the night of the shooting. You said Jeff didn't try to rape you. Why?

Kim: I had to make it seem like an accident.

Amanda: But it wasn't an accident. I mean, he was raping you.

Kim: Yeah, he was about to, but it would be better if we said that he wasn't.

Amanda: You know what? I could lose my badge, Kim. I could go to prison, okay? So you're gonna have to go, and you're gonna have to straighten this out right now.

Kim: You're not listening to me. I can't.

Amanda: Yeah, Kim, you can.

Kim: Then we ain't gonna get the money.

Amanda: What are you talking about?

Kim: Well, I kind of took a life insurance policy out on Jeff.

Amanda: Kind of?

Kim: Actually, we both did. Your name's on there too. But we have to make it seem like an accident, not while he was committing a felony, or else--that cannot go on the police report.

Amanda: Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Kim: They won't pay.

Amanda: Oh. God. When--when did you buy this policy?

Kim: Two months ago. When I found out I was pregnant.

Amanda: I need to see a copy of it.

Kim: I don't have one.

Amanda: Get it, Kim, now. Okay. Okay.

Kim: You know, you're a smart girl. I don't know why you can't just roll with this. We'll finally be rich.