Chapter 69

At BPD

Newscaster: And in a twist legal pundits will be talking about for years, the judge granted bail for the alleged head of the Southie crime family, Paddy Doyle.

Lawyer: The federal government has been skating on thin ice for a long time, and today, they fell in. Thank you.

Newscaster: Clearly, the judge was stuck between a rock and a hard place. The prosecution wasn't ready to proceed..

Maura: I don't believe this. Why are they shaking his hand?

Korsak: They're from Southie if Paddy's out, you want to be on his good side.

Reporter: ..the judge had no choice but to reconsider the issue of bail.

Maura: He can't get away with this.

Korsak: I would've said that yesterday. I don't know about today.

In the Morgue

Jane: Did you get him to talk?

Maura: Oh, yeah. Can't get him to stop. He said my father hired a couple of teamsters to run their truck into the Marshals' van. Said it was pretty quick, except for the one who bled out before the ambulance arrived.

Jane: Poor guys just doing their jobs.

Maura: And how are we supposed to do ours? I mean, he's out, Jane. How did this happen? How?

Jane: We'll, he's always eight chess moves ahead. Where do you think you got your I.Q. points?

Maura: Don't remind me.

Jane: He'll only be out for a couple of days, and they got him wearing the ankle bracelet. I'm sure the feds are watching his every move.

Korsak and AUSA walk in.

Korsak: We may have something.

Jane: Well, that's good news. Shouldn't we go up to the squad room?

Korsak: We can't, Jane.

Jane: Why not?

Korsak: Cavanaugh can't know about this.

AUSA: Calvin Ghetts investigated the fire that killed his family.

Jane: What does Cal have to do with Paddy Doyle?

AUSA: We were about to make a deal with Ghetts to testify against him.

Jane: Cal was dirty?

Maura: Oh, my god.

Jane: Wait a minute. Did Paddy send someone to Atlantic City to take him out before he could talk?

AUSA: We think so. The FBI thinks Paddy paid Ghetts to burn down buildings in the '90s, falsify arson reports so Paddy could buy condemned property for a song.

Jane: But you could never prove that.

AUSA: No, not until Calvin Ghetts told me in a phone call before he died that he had saved evidence that could prove that Paddy was behind that fire.

Jane: Cal set the fire and you were granting him immunity in exchange for the evidence in his testimony.

AUSA: Right.

Maura: You were gonna make a deal with a man who killed a police officer's wife and baby?

Jane: Maura, sometimes you got to dance with the devil to get a conviction especially for two capital murders.

Maura: So you're gonna seek the death penalty.

AUSA: If you're conflicted, Doctor, I won't ask you to help investigate this.