Chapter 55

The Next Morning

Jane: When do we get the results back on the root ball?

Maura: Oh, uh, Susie called this morning while you were in the shower. The German shepherd was on a drug for arthritis- carprofen.

At BPD

Korsak: Bruno. He looks nice.

Jane: Mm, yes, he does. Did you just make an online-dating love connection?

Korsak: Funny.

Frost: I'm pulling up all the registered German shepherds.

Korsak: I always wanted one the good ones are direct and honest, - but not hostile, like you.

Jane: Thank you. I'm sorry I made a joke. Is that my tell?

Korsak: Your what?

Frost: What tell?

Jane: You have no idea what I'm talking about, do you?

Frost: Is this a trick question?

Jane: I'm so thankful that some of the people I work with are guys. No! Let's talk dogs, Korsak.

Korsak: For a guy running a billion-dollar company, this Mark Cabot sure had a lot of time to go to the gym.

Jane: You still thinking he was killed by another member?

Frost: Maybe. He was there every day and on every tournament team.

Korsak: I asked myself the same question, so I looked through the company's minutes. Mark was never there. Guy was a slacker.

Jane: Well, maybe somebody on the board wanted him out. His wife and sister were on the board, right?

Frost: Yeah, but they both have solid alibis. And Mark gave everyone motive. He controlled everything, made all the big decisions, - took all the credit.

Korsak: I found six German shepherds that live within 10 blocks of Rhonda's house.

Frost: Jane, there's a dog park near Rhonda's house. Dogs need special tags to use it. I'm pulling up all the German shepherds.

Jane: Wait a minute. Your VET has to sign off on the forms. I bet we can find out if any of those dogs were on that drug that we found in the dog hair. Look at that name - "Jaco" the German shepherd. Owner is Leslie Cabot.

Lindsay: What the hell? Leslie Cabot is our victim's sister. It's here in the dog's records. Leslie Cabot's German Shepard was on carprofen.

Frost: I don't get it. These two victims were strangers. So why is his sister's dog's hair in her lungs?

Jane: The murders are connected. Ever see "Strangers on a train"? - Hitchcock. Two strangers each want someone dead. They agree to do it for each other. The perfect murders. You can't set up a perfect murder in today's world without talking to each other. We can connect them through e-mails or texts or phone calls.

Korsak: You can check, but I doubt you can find anything. Remember what Rick said to us "big brother's watching"? He made sure that we couldn't make a link - between him and Leslie Cabot.

Jane: How? Frost, check to see if Rick's dog is registered - at Leslie's dog park.

Lindsay: That's it, Jane.

Frost: Yeah. Both Merton and Jaco have dog tags and used the park.

Jane: That's where they met. That's where they planned the murders. And they probably agreed never to contact each other unless it was at that dog park.