Chapter 28

In the Cafe

Angela: There's no way Jane murdered someone. Lindsay's got to do something.

Frankie: She is, Ma. We all are.

Susie walks in.

Susie: Do you have Scotch?

Angela: No.

Susie: I don't drink Scotch. A double espresso whole milk today. And when do you start making fries?

Angela: I'll, uh, start now.

Susie: How 'bout you? How are you holding up?

Angela: I'm worried sick. Susie, I know you're not supposed to say anything, but could you tell me something about the dead woman?

Susie: No. We have to wait until Dr.Isles does the autopsy. I looked and if I were a guesser, which I'm not, I'd say that the cause of death was asphyxiation due to a crushed trachea.
If I'm right, it was caused by a direct, powerful punch to the throat. Whoever did this knew what they were doing.

Susie: You okay?

Angela: Yeah, yeah. Yeah, I'm gonna, unh get that espresso started.

Jane walks into the Morgue

Maura: You're back. What are you doing here? You can't be here. You can't be working this case.

Jane: Well, am I under arrest?

Maura: No.

Jane: Is my tox screen back?

Maura: Not yet. Why? Do you think you were drugged?

Jane: I had a lot of beer. Who knows?

Maura: What did the hospital say?

Jane: There's no evidence of sexual assault.

Maura: Good.

Jane: At least I could've claimed self-defense.

Maura: Have you remembered something?

Jane: No. No. It's just I have done too much reading on the science of murder. In the presence of a threat, the brain activity shifts from the the ventromedial prefrontal cortex to the midbrain periaqueductal gray.

Maura: You need to stop reading my medical magazines.

Jane: These bruises say rage-my rage.

Cavanaugh: Rizzoli, what the hell? I need you to clear out of this office now. Officer Kelly, I want you to remove her.

Maura: Chief, this was my fault.

Jane: No, Maura, it's okay.

Cavanaugh: What the hell were you thinking, Doctor Isles?

Interrogation Room with Ex-Wife

Korsak: I'm- I'm so sorry. We found your ex-wife like that. You don't look too sad.

Vivian: Me? I'm trying not to smile.

Lindsay: Where were you last night?

Vivian: Trying to make enough money to feed our kid.

Korsak: Are you a working girl, Vivian?

Vivian: I'm a massage therapist.

Lindsay: A therapist, huh? "Vivian's hot hands. Come in for your happy ending.

Vivian: I'll give you the cop discount, huh?

Lindsay: And I'll give you 18 months in Framingham unless you tell us exactly where you were last night.

Vivian: I was with a client.

Lindsay: We'll need to talk to him.

Vivian: His name's John. If you find him, tell him he's a lousy tipper, huh?

In the Bullpen Looking At Evidence Board

Korsak: Happy hands Vivian has been picked up a couple of times.

Lindsay: Maybe she got one of her clients to do her a favor - take her wife out.

Frost: She's got a lot of clients who are cops.

Lindsay: A cop could've set Jane up.

Korsak: That's a lot of free happy endings.

Frost: She's not cooperating. We'll have to do a lot of digging to come up with a client list.

Lindsay: In the mean time, what do we do with the 50 people who saw Jane leave with the victim? Anybody see them get into her car?

Frost: No.

Jane: Okay, that's good. Is CSRU finished with the car?

Frost: Not yet.

Lindsay: God, we need a break.