Chapter 48

Maura asks Doyle about her birth mother. All he says is that her name is Hope and she was too young to care for a child. Then he leaves.

A Little While Later- Up in the Bullpen

Frost: Hey, Guys, we got a problem. I re-ran the computer leads looking for a connection. Someone hacked into the Medical Examiners Database. They got into Colin Doyle's file.

Jane: Are Maura's lab results in that file?

Frost: Yeah, Yeah. Whoever was looking at Colin Doyle's file, knows Maura is his sister.

Jane: (Gets on her phone) Yeah, and Patrick Doyle's daughter.

She runs out of the bullpen to the morgue while calling Maura. She doesn't answer.

In the Morgue

Maura is washing her hands when she hears a beeping sound coming from a evidence van with a supposed body. She goes over and opens the morgue doors leading there. She walks through and is grabbed. they get her in the van and leave. As soon as they pull out, Jane, Korsak and Frost walk in the morgue.

Jane: Maura! No answer.

They walk to the lift and see it open. They realize she's been taken.

With Maura:Where They Took
Her

They stop the van and get out. Paddy Doyle opens the back doors.

Paddy: I'm sorry. But I couldn't get back to see you again. There was no other way of bringing you to me.

Maura: What about a phone?!

Doyle: I assume you already know you're in danger.

Maura: Well, there's a lot I don't know. Let's start with my birth mother. Who is she? Is she alive?

Paddy: She is. But it's in both of our interests to leave it at that. We have you up to keep you safe. She has a right to lead her own life. But no, she was heartbroken...and never forgave me.

Maura: For giving me up.

Paddy: For who I am.

Maura: What about Colin? Who was his mother?

Doyle: It's not the same thing. She was someone...I saw a few times

Maura: But you raised Colin.

Doyle: Is that what you think? I gave you up and kept him? No, he was raised by his mother. She told him who his father was right before she died. FBI couldn't find me, my enemies couldn't find me, but my 15 year old son did. You've seen what he can do with computers. Smart enough to do anything, yet not smart enough to avoid the same path I took. (He hands her some pictures.) I've always kept an eye on you. (She looks at them)

Maura: This is my high school graduation.

Doyle: I was at your college and medical school graduations, too. (He hands her a cell phone.) I know you have people close to you in homicide. Especially your fiancé. I need you to tell me who did this to Colin.

Maura: We don't know yet.

Doyle: When you know. As soon as you know.

Maura: So you can kill him.

Doyle: So I can keep you alive, by sending a message.