Chapter 97

At BPD In the Morgue-Autopsy Room

Jane: What do you think? Did she kill herself?

Maura: The bruising and deep-tissue injury around the ligature exceeds the circumference of the noose. Not a suicide. She was strangled by the rope and posed in the chair.

Lindsay: Looks like we'll be bringing Eddie in after all.

Jane: We still don't have enough on him.

Jane stands like she's in pain.

Maura: Ooh! Lower back pain, Jane?

Jane: Ah, too much stress for my body to handle.

Maura: You know back pain is the second most common ailment in the united States?

Lindsay: What's the most common ailment? Your fun facts?

They chuckle.

Maura: Headaches. I can give you a massage later, if you want.

Frost walks in.

Frost: Got something. Jared McKay.
He's an investigative reporter for the Boston dispatch. Just got off the phone with him.

Jane: Was he having an affair with Debbie?

Frost: No. They went to journalism school together.

Jane: Debbie said she had a friend -- someone high up in a big company -- who wanted to blow the whistle on something.

Frost: McKay doesn't know what. Debbie wouldn't give up the name.

Lindsay: Well, that has to be Steve Sanner. He was gonna blow the whistle, but on what? And why wouldn't Debbie tell us they were meeting?

Jane's cellphone vibrates.

Jane: Rizzoli. Okay, calm down. What -- I'll be right there. I got another dead classmate.

In the Cafe

Angela: Oh. Here, drink this.

Giovanni: Oh, thanks.

Angela: It's warm milk with a shot of whiskey. Come on, sit.

Jane: Ma, you don't have a liquor license.

Angela: So arrest me. I use it for when I make my chicken pot pie.

Giovanni: Thanks, Mrs. Rizzoli.

Jane: Oh, great. So, now that you're half in the bag, can you tell me what happened?

Giovanni: Me and Maria went to Friendly's. I order mac and cheese. She gets a salad, with dressing on the side, 'cause she's so fit, like. Then all of a sudden, she says, "oh, my God, my heart's racing." So I-I think this chick's really digging me, right? Then she stops breathing.

Angela: Oh, God. How awful.

Giovanni: Yeah, you're telling me. Waiter calls 911. I start doing CPR.

Angela: Oh, I wouldn't even know how.

Jane: That's comforting, ma.

Giovanni: Well, me neither, except I kind of learned the basics at Tony Abruzzi's bachelor party when this stripper starts --

Jane: Um, can you just take me back to Maria, please?

Giovanni: All right, so everybody's yelling. It's crazy. Paramedics show up.
And she's dead -- right there on Friendly's floor.

Angela gasps.

Jane: Did Maria ever make contact with Debbie Tibbet from our class?

Gio: Doubt it. Debbie called her "Porky Korkman." I mean, Maria hated Debbie. Boy, that's terrible.

Jane: What about Steve Sanner? Did she mention talking to him?

Gio: He tried talking to her at the reunion, but what's he need her for, you know? I mean, Emily's got those friggin' -- hey, you could probably appreciate her tits, now, too, right? -

Angela: What? Excuse me?

Jane: Uh, um.. So Maria didn't get a chance to talk to Steve at the reunion?

Gio: Nah. Nah, we left early. To think I only got two days with the love of my life.

Angela: Ohh. Giovanni.

He Sighs.