Chapter 87

At BPD

Jane walks into the Autopsy Room.

Jane: Tell me our poor, dead samaritan managed to scratch the clown.

Maura: I'm not sure I have any skin cells yet, but there's a beige, powdery substance under his index finger.

Jane: We need the killer's skin, Maura.

Maura: He had a pre-existing condition.

Jane: Wait, no! Don't stop! We could get lucky and get the killer's DNA.

Maura: "Hold your horses." Homer said that to Antilochus to get him to stop driving his chariot like a maniac.

Jane: Aha. I had always wondered.

Maura: See this? It's an aneurysm.

Jane: What, it burst when his skull struck the curb?

Maura: Yes.

Jane: Anything on the plastic flower?

Maura: Uh, we did a headspace analysis.

Jane: I'd like a headspace analysis.

Maura: Are we still having lunch in the park?

Jane: Wha-only if you talk faster about the plastic flower.

Maura: It has volatile organic chemical levels - close to 1,000 parts per million.

Jane: Even faster.

Maura: The FDA hasn't allowed levels over 500 since 1990.

(both chuckle)

Jane: Wait, since 1990 that means the flower was probably manufactured in the '80s.

She gets her phone out.

Jane: I'm ordering files from the archives. If the costume our killer was wearing is from the '80s, maybe there's a connection to that '88 kidnapping.

In the Bullpen

Lindsay walks into the bullpen.

Lindsay: Jane asked me to bring up all the incident reports.

Korsak: Put them over there.

Lindsay: Okay, but you're gonna need a bigger squad room. There are hundreds of boxes down there.

Frankie: Do you really want to go through all the incident reports from June, July, and August of '88?

Frost: No. We really want you to go through them all. Look for any reports that mention a clown.

Lindsay: Why would the clown be back?

Korsak: If you find it boring going through old files, maybe you can find something more exciting to do.

Frost: Yeah, they're always needing people in evidence.

Korsak: Hey, Frankie, did you ever notice how Frost can talk and work at the same time?

(sighs)

Frankie: "Bats in the attic."

Lindsay: "Lost car keys." "My neighbor flashed his butt at me."

Frankie: These aren't sorted.

Frost: That's why you're here. Did you find the three files on the attempted kidnappings?

Lindsay: Yeah. They're right there. I also found the missing-persons files.

Frankie: Hmm. Ah, I remember that kid. His face was everywhere, even on milk cartons.