Hard times

°•. ✿ .•° °•. ✿ .•°

Elizabeth awoke, a panting mess. It was a common occurrence, something she used to cure by laying her head on Mattheo's chest but now, it was up to her. Her alarm clock read '4:35' in bold red letters and the soft snores of Pansy surrounded her. This wasn't the best start to the first day of classes but Elizabeth knew trying to sleep again was useless. So, with heavy eyes and a tired body, she trudged down into the common room. Where the remains of last nights fire, fizzled, a dull light was all that lit the room and within its orange haze, a figure.

Enzo's head spun at the sound of a creaking floorboard and when his eyes met green, he relaxed. Her figure was weak, tired, covered in a fine layer of sweat that the dim light of the fire accentuated. Her body seemed to still under his glare and he wondered if he looked stern? No, surely not.

"Hi Beth" Enzo spoke quietly, not wanting to frighten the poor girl.

"Hi...enz" the nickname felt strange coming out of her mouth. It had been so long since she'd used it.

"Everything okay?" Enzo eyed her suspiciously. He knew all about her struggles, Mattheo had often come to the boys, worried about her state of mind.

"Yeah..just, you know..." Elizabeth shrugged.

"Yeah.." Enzo looked back at the dying fire "if you ever need..."

"Thank you but, it would be to strange" Elizabeth looked to her feet. All she needed was a friend, more friends but not his friends.

"Of course" Enzo nodded his head. He hated the tension that surrounded them. Elizabeth was once one of his best friends and he despised the distance that had been created between them.

"I'm going to go and get ready for classes, bye...enz" Elizabeth spoke softly, with such grace. Enzo missed the fiery little Slytherin that he'd once known, she was a mere echo of that girl.

"See you" Enzo spoke politely.

Elizabeth climbed back up the stairs, wiping the ever growing sweat from her forehead. A shower would do her well and so, that's what she did. Showered, brushed her teeth and dried her hair, all before getting out her crisply folded uniform and pulling it onto her body. Her long wavy brown hair, fell over the top of her robes and her green and silver tie was done to perfection. It was far too early for breakfast, so instead, Elizabeth dug into her trunk, pulling out her black doc Martin boot. Inside of it, was a packet of cigarettes that she'd managed to successfully sneak in.

It wasn't a habit that she was proud of, but it was one of the many ways that she'd found to deal with her anxiety. Not that she'd ever tell anyone, no, her brother would murder her.

With cigarettes and lighter in hand, Elizabeth crept out of the common room and into the earey corridor. The dungeons were creepy at the best of times, let alone in the early morning husk. The sound of Elizabeth's shoes echoed down the lonely corridors as she made her way to the fifth floor corridor. Her favourite spot, was an old window, right at the end of the corridor. It was seldom passed, which made it a perfect escape for her.

Perching herself on its ledge, she placed the cigarette in between her lips, inhaling deeply as she lit the end of it, releasing the smoke out in front of her. Every so often, she'd tap the ash away out of the window, watching it dance around with the wind.