Sitting in a tree

°•. ✿ .•° °•. ✿ .•°

After spending hours curled up on Theo's bed, rambling about how annoying Graham was and how much of an asshole Mattheo could be, Elizabeth had finally fallen asleep. Walking up not even five hours later, when the first morning light peeked through the curtains.

Theo was still fast asleep, sprawled out on his stomach, his hand resting on the dip of her waist. His body rising and falling slowly as he took each breath. The sight made Elizabeth smile, but the dryness of her mouth, did not. With slow movements, she slid out of the bed, glancing at Theo to see him still fast asleep.

She grabbed his hoodie from the floor and slipped it over her head, tiptoeing across the floor and sneaking out of the door. As soon as she heard the latch click, she let out a breath, continuing to tip toe through the halls and down the stairs, until she reached the kitchen.

It was still empty, no sounds could be heard through the manor, but it wasn't a surprise to Elizabeth.

She grabbed a glass and filled it with water, before jumping up onto the counter. Sipping her water every so often as she watched the last of the sun rise through the window. The sky illuminated with warm yellow and orange hues, the winter sun emerging over the distance. The grass was still covered by a frost, she could make out the mildew on the leaves of the flowers but she thought it to be, rather beautiful.

"You always loved sunrise...but never sunset, because you said it made you feel sad. Like it was the end of something"

Elizabeth didn't turn her head, she could pick that voice out of a million. But why did he always have to be there.

"What do you want Mattheo?" Elizabeth grumbled.

"I wanted to say sorry, about last night. Look...I'm going to leave you and Theo be, it's not my place anymore" Mattheo sighed, grabbing himself some juice from the fridge. "Thank you...by the way"

Elizabeth furrowed her eyebrows, slowly turning around to look at him and when she did, her eyes immediately went to the silver Cuban link bracelet on his wrist.

"You're welcome" she swallowed thickly, looking down to the glass that sat between her hands.

"Elizabeth, I'll always love you and I'm sorry, I'm sorry that it turned out like this but I-i want you to be happy. So, I'm going to keep my distance as much as I can...give you and Theo a chance to grow" Mattheo rolled his tongue against his cheek. His talk with Graham last night, really changed his whole perspective.

"Thank you" Elizabeth's eyes softened and for the first time in months, she really looked at him. Soaking in his every feature, because it could be the last time she got to. His fluffy chocolate curls and chocolate irises, his thick long eyelashes that brushed his cheekbones and the scar that rested across the bridge of his nose, a reminder of all of the fights he'd been in.

After a few moments of silence, the boy began to smirk, making Elizabeth furrow her eyebrows.

"What?"

"Wanna hear something interesting?" Mattheo chuckled.

"Always" Elizabeth nodded with a small smile.

"Your brother and a certain feisty Slytherin...sitting in a tree" Mattheo leant back against the counter, crossing his arms over his chest.

It took Elizabeth a second to register his words, but when she did, her eyes widened.

"No way!" Her mouth fell open.

"Yes way. Unfortunately, I had the pleasure of hearing it all" Mattheo raised his eyebrows.

"I need to see for myself" Elizabeth jumped off the counter, striding across the kitchen before stopping in the door way. "Come on!" She whispered aggressively.

Mattheo shook his head as he followed her up the stairs, both of them creeping down to the end of the hallway. Elizabeth eyed him cautiously before trying the door handle, of course, it was locked.

"Give me your wand" Elizabeth held her hand out.

Mattheo nodded, digging in his pockets before dropping it into her palm.

"Alohamora" Elizabeth mumbled, hearing the lock snap open. She slowly turned the door knob, letting the door open just enough so that her and Mattheo could peek their heads inside.

Sure enough, there was her brother and....Pansy Parkinson. Both of them appearing to be naked, Graham's bottom half covered by the sheet and Pansy tangled up in it.

"Holy fuck!" Elizabeth exclaimed in a whisper, but when the sleeping pair started to shift around, Mattheo quickly pulled Elizabeth back, gently shutting the door behind her.

"But she's-and he's-oh my Merlin!" Elizabeth couldn't believe it, she couldn't even form a full sentence.

"I know!" Mattheo gawked, a chuckle leaving his lips.

Elizabeth's eyes softened "we'll always be friends Mattheo".

Her words seemed to make him still and as he searched her face, a smile fell upon his lips.

"I know Lizzy" Mattheo stepped forwards, pulling her into one of his 'bro' hugs.

"Hey...I finally got my bro hug" Elizabeth giggled softly.

"Yeah you-..." the sound of movement from behind the closed door, made both of their eyes widen. "Go!" Mattheo ushered in a harsh whisper.

They both scurried down the hallway and down the stairs, falling into a fit of laughter as they reached the foyer.

"I've missed us hanging out Matty...you don't have to stay away, but you just have to accept that...I can't sit and watch you be with someone else, whilst I spend the rest of my life waiting for something that I can't have" Elizabeth smiled softly as she thought of Graham's words.

"I know Lizzy-your brother is wiser than he looks" Mattheo's words made Elizabeth furrow her eyebrows.

"Y-you and him spoke?" She tilted her head slightly.

"Last night, after dinner. We went outside to argue more than anything but it turned out to be a conversation that I needed to hear" Mattheo placed his hand on her shoulder, giving it a slight squeeze.

"Still his protective self I see" Elizabeth chuckled.

"That's never going to change. I just hope Theo can cope with it" Mattheo snickered as he looked at the girl in front of him with soft eyes.

"P-promise me, we'll always be friends from now on, no more fighting" Elizabeth let out a breath. She needed this.

Mattheo let a grin grow on his face as he held out his pinky. Elizabeth shook her head as she locked her's with his.

"I promise"

°•. ✿ .•° °•. ✿ .•°