Friends?

°•. ✿ .•° °•. ✿ .•°

"Mattheo" Elizabeth mumbled. They'd been stood here hugging for ten minutes, neither of them had spoken and Elizabeth wasn't sure that they needed to. Somewhere during the warm embrace, they'd found an understanding.

"I'm sorry. For acting how I did and saying what I did Elizabeth. I-I can't give you the life you want and I thought it would be better for you if we...if you hated me" Mattheo pulled back slightly, smiling as he looked into her tear filled eyes.

"I understand now but I don't want to hate you" Elizabeth's lips formed a tight line as she shook her head gently.

"I don't really want you to hate me either" Mattheo's tongue darted out to wet his bottom lip. "I think you should also know that, me and Olivia-we aren't really together. We are barely friends, it's all an act".

Elizabeth's eyebrows furrowed deeply before her eyes widened in realisation. "Oh thank Merlin! She's the most annoying and irritating person I've ever met!" Elizabeth broke out into laughter.

"She got you good with her nails" Mattheo used his hand to tilt Elizabeth's face back slightly, his eyes narrowing as he inspected the scratch marks on her cheek.

"Yeah, little bitch is lucky Theo was there otherwise I think I might of actually killed her" Elizabeth's laughter turned to one of awkwardness as she realised she'd mentioned Theo.

"That's going to take some getting used to" Mattheo scratched the back of his head.

"Look if it's too weird for you I can-..."

"No" Mattheo shook his head. "You won't do anything. I want you to be happy. You deserve to be so happy" Mattheo smiled softly, because placing his hand on top of Elizabeth's head, ruffling up her brown locks.

"We'll keep the pda to a minimum" Elizabeth giggled. "You're right, it's weird" She looked down at her feet.

"Lizzy-I'm glad we talked" Mattheo gave her a tight lipped smile.

"Me too" Elizabeth opened her arms. "Bro hug?" She smirked as Mattheo rolled his eyes.

He walked forwards, quickly hugging her and patting her back, the same way he always did with Theo.

"I'll see you later? I need to finish the work for Slughorn" Elizabeth turned on her heel, walking towards the staircase.

"Who did you really smell in the amortentia?" Mattheo called out, making her turn around with a smirk.

"Wouldn't you like to know" Elizabeth tapped the side of her nose before running up the stairs.

Mattheo shook his head, a grin settling on his cheeks as he made his way back over to the sofa, dropping down with a sigh. He'd never stop loving her but he had to learn to love her from afar.

The bustling noise of voices started to fill the common room as everyone filed in from their last lessons of the day. Most people went straight to their dorms, some sat down with a book but what made really made Mattheo wish he too was in his dorm, was Theodore Nott. The boy was talking to Blaise but he spotted Mattheo quickly and the tension was enough to crush any atmosphere in the room.

Mattheo watched as Blaise whispered something into his ear, patting his shoulder as he walked away and up the stairs. He wondered what he'd said but he figured it out when Theo walked towards him with his hands shoved into his pockets.

He dropped down on the sofa opposite him, resting his elbows on his knees as he leant forwards. They stared at eachother for what felt like forever, both of their faces flat as their stubbornness took over.

"Are you going to say anything? Or just sit there" Mattheo spoke first. His words making Theo's jaw tense.

"Don't you think you should be the one talking?" Theo grumbled.

"Fine. I'm sorry okay? I was being a dick. I wanted Elizabeth to hate me, I thought it would be easier for her" Mattheo sighed as he leant back against the sofa, watching his friend through hooded eyes.

"You really are an idiot. Elizabeth will always need you and I'm saying this to you as your friend and not her...whatever we are. You can't be with her. She moved on. I get it, it's impossible for you to comprehend but don't make her despise your existence" Theo shook his head, his nostrils flaring slightly.

"Good thing me and her talked then isn't it..." Mattheo sighed.

"You did?" Theo crossed his arms, his eyes narrowing.

"Yeah, heartfelt conversation. We're...friends. She promised to keep the pda with you to a minimum" Mattheo rolled his eyes at the mention of any sort of pda.

"Then I guess we are cool" Theo slapped his hands against his thighs before standing up.

"For what it's worth..." Theo stilled as Mattheo spoke. "I'm glad it's you" Mattheo mumbled the words. Theo didn't turn around, he just carried on walking but Mattheo knew him well enough to know that there was probably a cheesy grin on his face.

His guilt had subsided. Making things right with the people the loved, had settled his mind. He would forever have to live without true love but that didn't mean he had to live without them.

They were his friends first and foremost, before they were ever anything else. Before he loved Elizabeth, she was his bestfriend and then she was his girlfriend and then his ex, his friend again and his girlfriend but, it somehow it always led back to the start, back to being friends.

°•. ✿ .•° °•. ✿ .•°