An hour of pain

"Well, recurring dreams can often be a sign of some kind of mental stress, reflecting fears or sometimes even memories. "

Nyx had been sitting in this lady's office for the best part of an hour and so far she had discovered nothing she felt she couldn't have found on Google. The fact she had refused to tell the therapist anything about her dreams didn't help, because the lady couldn't say anything specific to them and was having to give her textbook answers to everything.

For the last quarter of an hour, Nyx had been watching a bee outside the window, and not listening to a word.

She was brought back by the therapist clearly waiting for an answer. "Sorry," Nyx mumbled "what was the question?"

The lady smiled, obviously strained. "How lucid are your dreams?"
"Lucid?what's lucid?"
"Aware. In control. Can you control your dreams? Even just your actions?"
Nyx smirked. "Sorry, but if I could control my dreams, I wouldn't be having them. How does this help, anyway?"

Clearly, the therapist was nearly at her wits end. It wasn't her fault. Nyx was able to push even the most patient of people over the edge. It was just a question of time.
"Because,", said the therapist, obviously forcing a smile. "You may not be quite so aware of what you could do if you're experiencing lucid dreaming.Yes, I get that your dreams make you scared, but if you controlled your fear, you could create yourself a way out in your dream. A way to escape from whatever you are seeing. Without waking up. Do you think you could try that?"

Nyx shrugged. "Suppose so. Not like theirs any time to decide something else. Sessions over."

And with that, she walked out to meet a smiling Rachel. "How was it?"

"Well, to be perfectly honest, I think she put me to sleep just by talking. Now my nightmares are filled with monotone, boring-as-hell lectures on lucidity. Is lucidity even a word?"

Was it good? I have never been to a therapist of any kind, so I had to make it all completely up.
Sorry if it's boring, but it is relevant in the build up for something more exciting.