Attic

"Hey, Travis, wanna give me a hand?"

Travis spun around at Nyx's disembodied voice. "Uh, yeah, sure. Where... where are you?"
"Up here, stupid."
Travis looked up. Nyx peered down through a hatch in the ceiling. "Hi! Ladders there, come give me a hand!"

Travis grabbed the ladder steps and heaved himself up. He stuck his head up through the hatch and peered around to see his sister scurrying through the cardboard boxes. He chuckled. "What exactly are you doing?"

Nyx grinned cheekily. "Rachel calls it 'cleaning the attic'. Selene calls it 'sorting the trashy junk." I call it playing treasure hunt. I mean, look what's in here!"
She opened up a box and almost disappeared into it as a pile of ribbons and materials flooded out.
"Whoa, slow down tiger. You could get lost in those boxes if you're not careful." Travis said, attempting to dig her out of the floods of fabric pouring out of the box.
Nyx's head shot up, eyes bright. "And bingo! Look at this! Look at it!"
She held in her hands a purple velvet top hat adorned with a black rosette centred around a white cameo brooch.

 "And bingo! Look at this! Look at it!"She held in her hands a purple velvet top hat adorned with a black rosette centred around a white cameo brooch

"Where have you been all my life?" Nyx said, tilting it left and right in the meager lamp light.
Travis raised an eyebrow. "You're not seriously going to put that... You're putting it on. Okay, your wearing it. You're actually wearing that hat."
"Oh yes, I so am!"
Nyx posed with her new hat resting atop her messy curls, admiring her reflection in an old hand mirror.
Travis rolled his eyes. "You look like some kind of demented female mad hatter."
Nyx hit him over the head with a bundle of papers. "Time for tea! Why is a raven like a writing desk? And a very happy unbirthday to you!"

"Alright, that's it, come 'ere!"
Travis grabbed Nyx, tickling her all over.
"Stop it, stop it!" Nyx giggled.
Travis stopped.
Nyx looked up at him. "I didn't really mean that. You can keep tickling me, you know."
"It's not that." Travis was leafing through the bundle of papers Nyx had dropped.
"I think I need to talk to Rachel."