Secrets

Alec jogged along the road, the file clasped in his hands. Nyx deserved to know, before the Clave did anything. He'd become surprisingly fond of Nyx, over the couple of times they'd met. She was a generally likable person, with her puppy-like personality. She was the kind of person you didn't want to imagine getting hurt, because it would destroy your faith in the world. She was so sweet and innocent.
And Magnus's pretend hatred of her was just funny.
But anyway, she deserved to know. It was her right. Only she could decide what this meant for her.

Nyx looked at Maddie's drawing. It was not just coincidence. The lines were there. But unlike Nyx, Maddie hadn't seen any artwork of the Guardian before.
Nyx snatched the paper. "Give me a moment." She muttered. She grabbed some tracing paper and traced the lines.
She held them up, biting her lip. "I wonder... is that map piece still in mum's vault? Cause I think this may be piece three."
The girls looked at each other for a moment before charging upstairs.
Nyx threw open the closet door to reveal the safe. "Damn it, I don't know the code. Hey, you wouldn't by any chance have a rune for this?"
Maddie laughed. "Let me try. You know, I can't believe I'm going along with this. Oh, and if you're mum has magically booby-trapped the safe, I blame you."
Nyx rolled her eyes. "Why do you think I let you attempt to open it? I'm not stupid."

Finally, the box was open. Paper spilled onto the floor. Nyx made sure not to muddle any of it up, as she spied the piece of parchment. "Ah, hah! Got you!"