Chapter 31

Jen's POV

I spent a few more minutes thinking about Scarlet to the point where the guilt began to eat away at me until I was torn between staying by Katie's side or going home to be by Scarlett's. A few more minutes into my dilemma is when I realised that no matter what I did I would feel guilt so in recognition of that I decided to go home, see Scar and explain to her in the most child-friendly way what has happened.

Amy left a few hours ago in a taxi, leaving my car here with me in case I decided to leave. I'm lucky she did cause now I can just get into the car and go home without any hassle.

I slowly push myself up to a standing position and let go of Katie's hand leaving her warmth behind and kiss her forehead and leave before making it any harder for myself. When I get home I quietly walk into the hall realising I am still in the racing overalls we were given for the four-wheeling today, this brings back unwanted memories of today's events and halts me in my tracks. I make myself climb the stairs with the thoughts haunting me and the visions of the quad rolling over, I draw closer to Scarlett's door and the thoughts still taint my mind and make me wary of opening the door. I push myself to open the door by thinking of Scar on the other side, confused at what's happened.

Once I've opened the door I catch sight of Scarlett lying on her back in the big, soft, safe bed and I walk over to her side of it and sit down, placing my hand on her tiny chest. She slowly begins to stir awake and opens her eye's, looking into mine with a huge grin spreading across her face as she jumps into my arms and sinks into my chest, wrapping her arms around my waist.

"Where were you?" She asks into my chest.

"With Katie," I reply simply, waiting for her to ask for a further explanation.

"Where's Katie?" She asks innocently, raising her head so that her eyes look into mine.

"She's fine she is just at the hospital for tonight but she'll be back in the morning," I explain trying to prevent her from crying.

"Why?" She asks as her eyes glaze over slightly.

"She hurt herself on the quad today but she's fine," I tell her with a small comforting smile.

"Can we go see her?" She asks with a small tear running down her cheek.

"You can see her in the morning when she gets home, but now you need sleep," I reply as I cup her cheek and wipe away the tear with my thumb.

"Okay Mommy," She sniffles slightly and nods then drops her head back against my chest.

"Okay, Bug," I sigh and tighten my grip on her then drop my chin to the top of her head.

"Now, where's Huggy and you can sleep with me tonight," I say to her enthusiastically.

"Here" She smile's as she lifts him off the bed and into my lap.

"Hello," I smile and stand with Scar's little legs wrapped around my waist and Huggy in between us.

"Did you brush your teeth?" I ask her.

"Yeah, Justine made me." She pouts back.

"Good girl." I laugh at her.

"You get comfortable and I'm gonna get changed then I'll join you," I tell her as I put her under the covers.

"Okay," She replies and snuggles down under the covers.

When I make it into the bathroom I stand in front of the mirror with my hands on the counter as I reflect on what has happened in the last fourteen hours. We went four-wheeling, Katie almost died, she may have memory loss and Scar has no idea of the extent of Katie's injuries. Tears begin to slide as I realise that Katie may have forgotten who I am or who Scar is or worst of all who she is herself.