Chapter 80

Jen's POV

Shocked at the scene before me I run over to the security car and smack the window with my free hand that isn't invested in holding Alex. My new security guard wakes up and fumbles with the door handle when she sees the fight happening on the doorstep.

"Piper!! Get her off!" I yell through the window as she finally manages to open the door.

She goes straight over and deals with the problem in a slightly rougher way than I would have preferred but either way it's dealt with. Wrapping her arms around Katie and restraining her she drags her off as she struggles in hopes of breaking free.

"Calm your shit!" Piper yells angrily as she falls onto the grass with Katie's back on top of her, keeping her arms firmly around her as she begins to calm all the while yelling profanities and anger at a badly beaten Darren.

My Dad comes out and his face grows angry at the sight of Darren but he soon collects himself when is lays eyes on the struggle.

Going over to him I hand him Alex and go over towards the main problem. Grabbing Katie's balled up fists and holding her still her intense looking pupils calm when she realised what she's just done.

"Stop it," I tell her forcefully as Piper let's go and helps her up.

Catching sight of Piper's bleeding nose I grow worried that Katie caused that.

"Look what you've done to Piper, stop freaking out like that," I scold her in an angry manner as she straights her appearance out.

"I'm sorry but that cunt shouldn't be anywhere near you," She grunts pointing at Darren.

"In all honesty I'd much rather discuss that with him. At the end of the day he is Alex's father," I feel agitated by her irrational ways.

"I know that but if he will lay hands on you then I'll lay hands on him. Just fucking remember that," She rips away from both Piper and myself before walking inside past my Dad and Alex.

Darren eventually manages to stumble his way upright as my Dad walks inside with a crying Alex.

"Do you want me to escort him away from the house?" Piper whispers to me and I just shake my head. I knew this would happen eventually just not now.

"I'll be in the car. Let me know if he tries anything," She tells me.

"Don't sit in the car just go inside, you've been doing that all day," I counter feeling bad she's been confined to the car.

"Go take a shower and get some sleep," I tell her and she smiles faintly before leaving me to speak to Darren.

"I see you've still got her well trained to kill," He grunts in regard to Katie's brutal attack on him.

"Oh shut up she's not trained to kill. She's just protective unlike you," I fold my arms as he wipes the blood from his nose and multiple gashes around his face.

"Why are you here?"

"Would you believe me if I said I came here to apologise?" He asks me.

"No," I reply bluntly.

"Fair enough. That is a lie anyway," He answers gruffly.

"Just get to the point Darren," Impatience gets the better of me.

"I want shared custody," He blurts it out.

"You must be joking?" I ask in disbelief.

"Not one bit. She's my daughter too Jen," He fights.

"Why have you left it till now? If you cared you would've tried to speak to me when she was born," I shrug in confusion at his logic.

"Excuse me but I was at the hospital and that savage attacked me just like she did there now," He explains in regards to Katie.

"Well excuse you but that's my daughter you're talking about if you want my sympathy you may stop referring to her like that. She's a better person than you'll ever be," I walk towards the door step.

"Jennifer if you ignore me you'll have a law suit on your hands," He warns as I step up to the door.

"Are you threatening me?" I spit angrily.

"Of course I am! You won't listen any other way!" He defends his tactics.

"Why would I let you have shared custody of my daughter? You beat me while I was pregnant with her for Christ sake!" I yell at him.

"I know that and I'm sorry," He tells me in an unconvincing manner.

"Yeah you really seem it," I walk inside slamming the door with all the strength I can fathom.

Leaning my back against the door, I slide down it, burying my head in my knees. Why couldn't he just leave it at least until after the holidays?? He just had to ruin it for me.

Soft footsteps approach me and I don't look up. I'm not doing that unless I have to. A soft, fluffy, warm body lays down beside me and I look down at Kevin nuzzling his back into me. Dropping my hand down onto his stomach I rub it gently as I allow the self pity to wash over me.

"Mommy?" Scarlett's voice asks and I look up at her standing a few feet in front of me with a look of confusion.

"Yeah Bug?" I ask her and wipe my face of tears.

"What's wrong?" She asks and I shake my head standing up.

"Nothing, how about we get you to bed," I suggest lifting her up onto my hip.

In response she yawns nodding before dropping her head down onto my shoulder.

After having put her to bed I go towards my brothers old room where Katie sleeps when she stays here. Opening the door gently no light floods through and I look into darkness. She must be asleep, I'll speak to her in the morning.

Stepping back into the hallway I look to the top of the stairs to see Piper walking back down them with wet hair, a black hoodie, black water proof coat in hand and some blue jeans on.

"What're you doing?" I ask her.

"Going to the store," She seems as though she's covering herself but I don't know her very well so I don't question her further.

"You can use Blain's old room when you're back," I tell her.

"Thanks," She smiles slightly.

"No problem," I smile in return.

She turns to leave again but stops herself. Turning back around she has a weary look.

"Do you wanna come or need anything?" She asks and I think to myself. I don't need anything but I wanna come, I need out of the house and I need to get my mind off of this. She's probably a good way to occupy me, I don't know her so I'll spend the evening getting to.

"I'll come,"

A/N: Anyone picked up on the twist?? It's a connection between this and one of my other books! How was it guys??