America's Sweethearts

Maya's POV

"You're gonna get caught" Riley insists as we walk through the liquor store on New Year's Eve. It was our first year living in the dorms and our first year officially dating. The adorable brunette was making me laugh as she worried about me getting caught with my fake ID that Josh had hooked me up with. Even though our someday ended when I realized I had feelings for his niece we were still pretty close.

"We'll be fine" I insist as I grab the bottle of wine, carrying it to the counter, the woman asking for my ID and accepting it no problem. As Riley and I head out of the store we quite literally run into none other than Evan.

"Evan? What are you doing in town?" Riley asks shocked, she was already surprised we got away with our purchase and now she was shocked to see him.

"I'm visiting some family" he replies nonchalantly. "Where are the boyfriends?" he asks making Riley and I chuckle as I take her hand in mine.

"Actually we're dating" I explain making his eyes go wide.

"Really?" he asks in shock. "Not gonna lie you both seemed a little closer than normal best friends on that trip" he adds making us blush as we share a sweet smile.

That was the trip we made things official with Lucas and Josh but it was also the first time I felt my heart flutter when I was around my best friend.

"Yea well everyone else had it figured out before us" I admit laughing lightly.

"Better late than never" he shrugs happily. "So what are you guys doing here?" he asks curiously.

"Getting some wine to drink while we sing off key to every song during the countdown" Riley explains as Evan laughs.

"Sounds like fun" he replies when a brunette appears behind him.

"Oh no" Riley says as she squeezes my hand. "It was really nice talking to you Evan. Bye" she adds quickly as she leads me to the car. We climb in and I look at her confused.

"Everything okay?" I ask worriedly.

"That woman is Loren. The girl my dad met on that ski trip. I just didn't want to talk to her" she explains as I nod in understanding, taking her hand in mine.

"Just remember she failed in breaking up your parents, they are America's sweethearts after all" I reply teasingly as I start the car and start heading back to our dorm.

"No they aren't" she insists as she plays with our intertwined fingers. "We are" she adds making a smile pull at my lips as I look over at her happily.

"I love you Riles" I say sweetly as we pull into the campus parking lot.

"I love you too Peaches and your alcohol buying abilities" she adds teasingly making me laugh as I reach over the console, pressing my lips to hers gently. "Ready to go countdown to the New Year?" she asks as we pull apart.

"More than ready" I reply as we climb out of the car, walking hand in hand up to our dorm.