I Know You Love Him But...

*Inspired By: I Wish by One Direction*

Maya's POV

"He takes your hand, I die a little"

Going to a party on the beach in the middle of summer is usually a great idea. Friends, music, bonfires, s'more's, what more could a teenager need? Of course the idea goes from great to terrible when the girl you're helplessly in love with is in love with someone else.

Riley and Lucas are walking along the shoreline, hand in hand making the jealously inside me get worse and worse the longer I stare at them. Riley looks so happy, so in love, there was no way I could tell her I was in love with her.

"Maya" I suddenly hear, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Sorry Farkle what?" I ask as I look over at my best friend lounging in the sand beside me.

"I asked you why you're staring at Riley and Lucas" he says as I shake my head.

"I'm not" I lie causing Farkle to chuckle.

"We don't lie to each other Maya. We never have. What's going on" he asks worriedly as he sits up, turning his body to face mine.

"It doesn't matter. She's happy and that's all that matters" I reply as I stand up. "I'll see you later Farkle" I add as I walk up the beach, away from Farkle and away from the happy couple.

"Whenever you kiss him, I'm breaking"

I make it up the beach, taking a seat and bringing my knees up to my chest, wrapping myself in a ball. I close my eyes and let the sounds of the ocean soothe me.

It wasn't Farkle's fault that I was in love with a girl who was in love with a boy. It wasn't anyone's fault but it still hurt.

I open my eyes and I instantly regret it, seeing as though Riley and Lucas have made their way over to the shoreline near where I was sitting with their lips locked in a passionate kiss. I feel tears spring from my eyes as I run down the beach, running right into someone.

"You like Riley" I hear the voice say. Not just any voice. Farkle's voice.

"Farkle" I cry as I wrap my arms around him, letting the tears fall from my eyes.

"It's okay Maya. It's okay"

"I've got these three little words that I've always been dying to tell you"

"How long have you liked Riley?" Farkle asks as he settles me down, sitting beside me on the beach with his arm wrapped around my waist.

"A while" I shrug as I take a deep breath. "Farkle I don't just like her, I love her" I admit softly, feeling his grip on me tighten.

"Have you told her?" he asks as I let out a soft chuckle.

"Yea right" I say as I shake my head. "She's in love with Lucas and my feelings are never gonna change that" I add seriously.

"You don't know until you tell her" he points out as he motions down the beach where she's sitting by herself. "Lucas is with Zay right now. Go talk to her" Farkle insists as he pushes me.

"And if she rejects me and never talks to me again" I say as I look at him expectantly.

"Then you can hate me forever" Farkle says seriously. "Now go."

"Fine" I sigh, standing up and walking over to Riley reluctantly. "Hey Riles" I say softly as I approach her.

"Peaches" she smiles as she looks up at me, "sit down" she insists, patting the sand beside her. "What's up?" she asks as she looks over at me worriedly.

"Nothing" I lie as I settle onto the beach beside her, hugging my knees to my chest.

"Maya we've been friends since we were little kids, I know when you're lying. What's going on?"

"You love Lucas right?" I ask as I play with the sand, running it through my fingers absentmindedly.

"Of course I love Lucas" she says with a smile. "But I love you too" she adds as she takes my hand in hers.

"I know" I reply as tears sting in my eyes. "But Riles I. I'm in love with you" I say softly as I try to break my hand away from hers.

"Maya" she starts but I shake my head as I stand up, brushing the sand from my clothes.

"Riles it's okay I know you're in love with Lucas" I say seriously as I look down at her, "but I thought it was only fair that I told you."

"Are you gonna let me talk?" she asks as she stands up beside me. "Maya I love Lucas but I can't deny that there's a part of me that thinks I might feel the same way about you" she adds making my eyes widen in shock.

"So um what does that mean?" I ask worriedly as I look at her intently.

"It means I need to break up with Lucas" she sighs as she runs her fingers through her hair. "Then maybe I can figure things out. Just give me time. Please Maya" she begs as she grabs my hands.

"Okay" I give as I look up at her with a smile. "I love you Riles."

"I know Maya and I promise we'll figure this out" she says sweetly as she squeezes my hand tightly. "I promise."