Spring Cleaning

Riley's POV

When I started dating Maya I thought the hardest thing about our relationship would be dealing with the judgement and prejudice of our peers but I was wrong. The hardest part of dating Maya was living with her mess.

My dear girlfriend was clearly the love of my life but I really wish she were as infatuated with the idea of cleaning as she is with me.

I'm in our bedroom folding her laundry that I had picked up off our floor this morning and I feel like I could pass out at any moment.

Spring cleaning was a pain in the ass.

As soon as I was done with the laundry I was planning on collapsing onto the couch to catch up on Rise before Maya got home. I tried watching it with her but she wouldn't stop referring to Lilette's character as Moana and it had driven me to the point of watching it alone.

I walk over to Maya's dresser and open the bottom drawer to stuff her jeans inside before opening the top to put away her delicates but as I'm placing her bras in the back my hand brushes against something soft and my eyebrows furrow in confusion as my hand closes around it and I pull it out.

I open my hand and my breath hitches in my throat as I look down at the velvet ring box. "Oh my god" I gasp. I flick it open and a smile pulls at my lips. It was a gorgeous ring but I honestly couldn't think of it on anyone else's finger but Maya's.

"Honey I'm home" Maya shouts from the living room. My head snaps up and I slam her dresser shut, pocketing the ring as my girlfriend walks into the room. "Hey baby" she greets me.

"Hi honey" I reply, stepping towards her and placing a swift kiss on her lips. "How was work?"

"Ugh it was work" she groans. "The kids were a pain in my ass and one even painted my ass" she adds as she turns around, removing the sweater from around her waist to show that she did indeed have a swipe of green paint on her ass.

"Gotta love five year olds" I chuckle. "At least it wasn't red" I add as she turns back around.

"At least" she agrees. "How about you love? How was your day?"

"Busy. Spring cleaning is tiring" I complain. Her face falls.

"Boo" she whines. "Does this mean we can't have sex tonight because I really, really could do with some de-stressing."

"How about some dinner first" I suggest and a smirk pulls at her lips.

"Are you on the menu?" she asks and a blush rises on my cheeks.

"Maya Penelope Hunter" I scold as I push her away.

"Oh stop" she insists. "Your innocent act is cute but transparent. Come on baby. I'm famished" she smirks as she wraps them around my waist and lowers them down to my-.

Shit.

"What's this?" she asks, taking the box from my back pocket. Her eyes widen as she looks up at me. "Where did you find this?" she demands.

My cheeks turn bright red. "I-it was in the drawer. I-I found it when I was putting away y-your laundry" I stutter, suddenly embarrassed.

"And?" she presses. "Are you like freaked out?" she asks softly. My eyes widen as I shake my head.

"No. I-I just think it would look better in your finger."

She quirks an eyebrow at me. "Really?"

"Mhm" I hum, taking the ring from her hand. "Maya you know I wanna marry you and I-I hope you want to marry me because I can't imagine my life without you. You're my best friend and the love of my life. Peaches, will you marry me?" I ask hopefully and a smile breaks out across her face as she nods her head.

"Yes" she exclaims. "Yes absolutely" she confirms as I open the ring box and pull out the ring, sliding it onto her finger. "I love you so much" she murmurs.

"I love you too" I smile as I lean forward and press my lips to hers before we fall back onto the bed and celebrate our engagement well into the evening.