Labels

Maya's POV

"I'm not going with you" I argue, lying on Josh's bed while he gets ready to go out. He groans, sitting beside me. 

"You're single, not dead" he replies as I sit up to look at him. "And I'm sure there will be plenty of girls there that are looking for a valentine." I scoff. Telling Josh about my sexuality was a little awkward at first since we had a sort of back and forth thing for a lot of my teenage years but we got through it and now he was one of my best friends. 

"I don't want to hook up with a random girl" I reply honestly. There was only one girl I wanted to be with and she was still at university until spring break...not that she was into me that way anyway. "I'm fine, okay. Just go out and have fun tonight."

He groans. "I can't have fun without you though, at least not knowing that you're at home sulking because my niece won't return your phone calls." My eyes widen as I glance over at my phone that was charging on my nightstand. He follows my gaze. "You never should've given me a fingerprint" he says defensively. I roll my eyes. "And you really shouldn't have called Riles eleven times."

"I-" I start to defend myself but I have no solid defense. I missed my best friend and she was effectively ignoring me for some unknown reason. "I just don't want to go" I finish, lying back down onto his bed. He sighs, standing up and brushing off his jeans. 

"Fine but I won't have any fun without you."

"I think I can live with that. Go and enjoy your birthday" I insist, looking up at him. He nods and turns to walk out of his dorm room, pulling open the door to find someone on the other side. 

"Woah" Josh gasps, staring at the person across from him. "W-what are you doing here?" I sit up to get a better look but he's still blocking my view so I stand up and walk towards the door, stopping beside him. 

The breath gets knocked out of my lungs when my eyes lock onto hers and suddenly my heart is beating out of my chest. "Riley" I mutter in shock. She giggles, stepping around her uncle to get to me. 

"Surprise" she exclaims, throwing her arms around me. "I went to your room first but when your roommate said you weren't there I knew there was only one other room you'd be in" she giggles, pulling away from me. She looks up at Josh and then back at me, dressed in a pair of jeans and a low-cut shirt that Josh had squeezed me into, and quirks an eyebrow at me. "Going somewhere?"

"Um-."

"I am" Josh interjects. "Maya was planning on staying in tonight. Maybe you two should catch up" he suggests, grabbing onto the door. "Have a good time" he adds, winking at me. My cheeks turn bright red as he walks out, leaving the two of us alone for the first time in months. 

"I guess this explains why you weren't answering your phone" I murmur. She furrows her eyebrows at me in confusion. 

"You were calling me?" she asks, taking out her phone to look at it. "I rushed right here from the airport. I haven't even checked this thing" she laughs. "Was everything okay? You called...eleven times?" she says questioningly. 

"Yea I uh" I stutter, walking back towards Josh's bed. "I missed you.

She smiles, stopping in front of me and pocketing her phone once more. "I missed you too but I've never called eleven times without something important to say. What's going on?"

"I just really missed you" I repeat, throwing my hands up. "I promise that's all that's going on."

"Are you sure?" she asks, stepping closer. "Is it about you and Josh? Because I thought you both were in a good spot now."

"We are" I confirm. "Seriously Riles-."

"What did I do then?" she asks making me stop talking to look up at her vulnerable brown eyes. "Because there are only two people that could hurt you enough to call someone eleven times and if it wasn't Josh then that means you were calling me for some sort of argument-."

"I don't want to argue with you" I exclaim. "I just really fucking missed you, okay?" I exclaim, standing up and staring directly at her. "But I do have to ask, when I came out to you did you not feel the shift in our relationship?" 

"I-" she stutters. 

"Did you not realize that I'm hopelessly in love with you?" She stares at me blankly and I shake my head, holding back tears as I brush past her. "Forget it" I insist but she grabs my arm and pulls me back towards her. 

"I kissed a girl at a party about a week into rush week" she admits. "It confused the hell out of me because I was suddenly feeling these things that I had only ever felt about boys a-and then when you came out over Christmas break it only got that much more confusing because suddenly we were a possibility that I never even thought of. I don't think I'm gay but" she pauses, biting her lip. "I don't think I'm totally straight either."

I chuckle, reaching out to caress her cheek. "There's a word for that, you know?"

"Confused" she guesses making me laugh as I shake my head, stepping even closer. 

"Not quite" I reply, staring deeply into her eyes. "Can I-."

"Yes" she cuts me off and I quirk an eyebrow at her. 

"I was gonna ask if I can kiss you."

"I know" she confirms boldly, a smirk tugging at her lips. "I've been able to read your mind since we were seven" she reminds me, wrapping her arm around my neck. "So" she trails off and I giggle as I lean in and press my lips to hers. She kisses me back softly, letting me guide the kiss until finally we pull apart and she smiles back at me. 

"Still confused?" I ask softly, rubbing my thumb over her cheek. 

"Not even a little bit" she replies confidently before leaning back in to kiss me and I realize as I hold her in my arms that nothing matters more than love on Valentine's Day because no distance or label can come between soulmates.