Chapter 99

"Let me go!" Nakbin struggled with her hands bound.
"There's no point resisting."
"Why are you doing this?!"
"I have to protect our clan."
"Protect?! I don't know if this means protecting to you!"
"I acted as soon as I found your mother's letter that was meant for you. Too bad I found it first."
Nakbin gasped as she looked at her mother's very neat handwriting, her hands trembling.

Astrid Nakbin,
I wrote this with a high hope that you will read this.
I wish one day you and Tetsuya will forgive me.
I met your father when I turned 16. He is a good man and he cared for me a lot. We talked and meet often until I finally realized that I fell for him. The elders were trying to marry me off to another for such tradition I cannot accept.
I ran away with your father and hid for weeks but we were caught as soon as we were about to reach the port.
Months later I found out that I was pregnant with your brother. To prevent your father from being killed, I promised to bear a girl who will take my place instead and she shall be raised in accordance to the tradition.
To keep you and your brother safe, I stole the elder's scroll and made another one, changing the rules, allowing the two of you to leave the palace.
I hope you will forgive me. As soon as you read this letter, burn this. You need to step out of the palace. Should you and Tetsuya find another place, don't ever come back.
Your father and I will always love you.
-Yui

"I immediately looked for the original scroll after reading that. Such a pity, the former phantom queen, was such a talented woman. Too bad she was killed on an accident together with your father. Probably for the best."
"You monster!" Nakbin screamed in despair as several guards tried to restrain her.
"You don't want your family to suffer the same fate, do you?"
Tomoe looked back at her arrogantly as he walked away.