Scott Reed [6]

Your POV

I sat in Scott's car, staring blankly out of the window as we were parked near the river bank. We had had so many memories here, it was where he asked me out. I let a single tear roll down my cheek as I knew exactly what he was going to say any second now. 

We had been driving around for what felt like hours that evening and as the sunset, he pulled over and told me he had something to tell me. There had been rumours circulating around Liberty over the past week about Scott and of course I had heard every variation of them. I knew exactly what he had to say but I couldn't believe it, not until I heard it from him. I think he knew that I had heard from other people as we simply sat in silence as the moon lit up the night sky. I swallowed the lump in my throat and spoke.
"Please don't tell me it's true..." I quickly glanced at him and then directed my eyes back to the window.
"I'm sorry." He sighed.
"Please say you're not going to leave me." I felt tears well up in my eyes as I spoke, "This town is right where you need to be."
"I know..." He paused for a second, "I want to stay here with you, but you know how my family is. We are always moving around. Normally it's only a few towns away."
"How far?" I asked, not wanting to hear the answer.
"About an hour and a half by plane." His words felt like knives in my chest.

I was unable to express my feelings and speak so we sat in silence once again. Scott and I had been together for a year and a half and he was the love of my life. I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him by my side. Long-distance was never a plan of ours. We were the perfect couple, it was as if I was in a fairytale when I was with him...But I guess every fairytale has a turn of events or comes to an end.
"When?" Was all I could say.
"My flights tomorrow at 7 pm." He sighed and my heart shattered into a thousand pieces.

I knew it would be soon but I didn't expect it to be that soon. I felt claustrophobic sat in the car. I unclipped my seatbelt and before Scott could process anything, I flung open the car door and jumped out. I ran down the path towards the river bank and dropped my weak, emotion-filled body to the ground. I breathed in the fresh, evening air as I let the tears finally spill down my cheeks. I felt someone sit beside me and wrap me in their arms. Knowing exactly who it was, I shuffled closer and wrapped my arms around them. We both sobbed as we accepted what was going to happen tomorrow.

After I stopped crying, I pulled away and wiped my cheeks.
"Fuck I'm so overdramatic." I laughed lightly, trying to lighten the mood.
"No you're not. I fucking hate this. I love you so much it physically hurts and the thought of not being able to see you every day is going to kill me." He looked into my eyes.
"I love you too, do you think we can make this work?" I rested my head on his shoulder as we looked out over the river bank.
"I swear to god I'll make up everything and more when I get back someday." He sighed, "I'll fly you out to come and see me for my birthday?" 
"Sounds good." I half smiled, "You'll have to come back here to see everyone. We will all miss you so much, especially me."
"I'll miss you all too." He pecked my cheek.
"I know this may be cheesy," I began, holding out my pinky finger to him, "I promise I'll talk to you every day and we will make this work. I promise that my love for you will still be just as strong, if not stronger, even when you are hundreds of miles away. I promise in a few years I'll make sure we can buy a little apartment somewhere and we can live together."
He lifted up his pinky finger and connected it with mine, "I promise."

I smiled and connected our lips. We shared a passionate and sweet kiss before sitting together on the riverbank, in each others arms.