Chapter 26

I cried silently in the toilet for like 5 minutes, I really need to get out there now cause otherwise Corbs will get worried. I get up from the toilet and i look in the mirror. I see a broken girl, a girl that's not feeling strong or confident. I smile, damn i've gotten the hang of this. My mask i used a lot last year is coming out handy now. I've been getting better and better at fake smiling. I know i can't fool Corbs, but i can fool Jonah and the customers. I stop with smiling, I look at myself. I have huge bags under my eyes, i have a breakout on my forehead and my chin, my hair is fluffy and it looks awful. I take a deep breath and i unlock the door and enter the restaurant, I put on my fake smile and i walk to the customers to help them.

When it's finally 12 i quickly change out of my work clothes into some comfortable clothes. I pull my hair out of the ponytail and i brush it quickly, I walk to the restaurant where Corbs is already waiting for me. "Let's go" he says while he slowly gets up from the bench where he was sitting. He leans on his walking stick, we get in the car and i start driving. We drive in silence for an hour when Corbs speaks, "Elle you okey?" he asks. "Yeah yeah" I say while i don't really listen to his question. I just concentrate on driving and not crying. I've always felt like it was my fault, it is my fault. It is my stupid fault. If i just acted earlier, if i didn't hesitate i could've saved her. It should've been me tho. I am the bad guy here, everyone loved her, everyone loves Corbs. And then there's me. I feel a hand on my shoulder and i look at Corbs, I can see that he's also fighting to keep back the tears. "Elle" he says and i nod, "Yeah" I say. "We're almost there" he says, I nod. The town. We haven't been there since...

After a while i see the town getting closer and closer, I pull up to the parking lot of the graveyard.