Chapter 83 - The Maze

The slow rise and fall of Leightons breathing was what Kennedy had let her focus be trained on. His soft snores were muffled by the material of Kennedy's long sleeve that was now stained with a blotch of Leightons tears.

It had been about an hour since Leighton had stopped his crying, and another hour since he had fallen asleep. The next task was in an hour and a half, so eventually she would be forced to waken her friend from the sanctuary that is his slumber.

They were curled together in a corner of the Owlery, Leighton lying down with his head rest upon her chest while she was lent against a wall. Her butt was completely numb and the tips of her ears and fingers were now a bright red, but none of that had mattered to her as long as he was asleep.

For some people slumber was a blessing. A way to escape the world around them and dream of a life they wished they had. But for Kennedy and others similar to her, it was nothing of the sort. In fact, maybe if was worse.

But Leighton had nothing to worry about as the vail of darkness remained over his consciousness like a carefully knitted blanket, while the world around him continued to spin on it's axis. For as long as she could will it Kennedy would let this vail hold it's power over him.

She wanted him to forget about the pain for just a moment in time. That's all she ever wanted for any of her friends. To prevent them even for a moment of feeling there pain. The world around them was a scary place, and not everything about it was always sunshine and rainbows.

So with the boy in her lap, snoring and occasionally muttering a phrase of two about grapes and monkeys Kennedy gently pet the boy's hair as a gentle breeze flood over her.

She had to admit, having already been sick, being in close proximity to another person while also remaining outside where it was freezing cold was not the smartest thing in the world.

But deep down she had a feeling neither of them genuinely cares about that. There was always time heal up, but having someone there to hold you isn't always an option.

Kennedy's arms were wrapped securely around the boy who dreamed innocently about all the things he'd hoped to do in his life while other bits of his dream were infested with odd thoughts involving apposable thumbs.

If Kennedy were aware of the dreams this boy had she would have definitely told him to stop reading up on those random fact books, but knowing how deeply engrained the random facts were, there was no way in 'detoxing him'.

A small smile made its way onto her face as she continuously stroked the boy's head. Footsteps sound by the stairs yet she made no attempt to move.

She turned her head gently to the side to see a floppy head of hair emerge from behind the railing and a small smile grazed her faze once more.

"Hi." She whispered to the boy who grinned back at her, though he seemed a bit torn up between happiness and confusion as he saw his friend within the girls lap.

"Hi Kennedy and Leighton?" Gabrielle laughed in a playful manor, making sure to keep his voice low. "Is he okay?"

Kennedy wanted nothing more then to say yes.

"No... he's just tired of waiting." Kennedy said with a sorrowful pursed lip side smile.

"Did he tell you about...?"

"Maisie? Yeah." Kennedy sighed as the boy plopped down to the ground beside her.

Gabrielle said nothing for a moment as he looked down to his friend who held cheeks of pink and puffy eyes with tear stains next to them.

"Sucks man." He whispered. "He's one of the good guy's you know? Though he is way to stubborn and when he finds something or someone who shows promise... he can't will himself to get away from them or it."