Fruits Basket - Momiji

"Hi!" You hear and whip your head up to see a blonde-haired boy. He's in the same class as you, you think, he's cousins with Yuki Sohma. Other than that, you have no idea who he is or why he has come to talk to you. You lower your phone and meet his gaze. He's looming over you, even while sitting on the bench you could tell that he was quite a bit taller than you.

His eyes were a beautiful brown color, they shined with so much light it nearly blinded you. You were able to see so much life in them, so much potential, but something else draws you in about them. You can't seem to pin it, but there is a deep feeling of innocent sadness that you can feel. Like a child wailing and sobbing and begging for a piece of candy, not knowing the value of money or the concept of death, only wanting short-term satisfaction. Something far inside yourself resonates with it, you don't know what it is about it, but you can't help but ache at his eyes.

"Hi?" You reply, not knowing exactly how to react. You weren't the type of person to pay attention to others as frequently as you should. You knew of Yuki since he is the president, but otherwise, you couldn't put a name to anyone else in this school.

"My name is Momiji Sohma! Would you like to be friends?" He shines, a wide grin spread onto his face as he sticks his hand out to you for a handshake.

You are stuck thinking of a response. You don't know if you should blindly go along with it or begin interrogating him. You've been in the same class (you think) for a few months now so why is he deciding to talk to you now after all this time? This must be some sort of prank set up by the upperclassmen, you've heard of people asking others out as a joke but you never thought they'd try it with you.

You stand from your spot, he really was taller than you. You think of what to do. You think you've heard that name before, Momiji, but you can't pinpoint exactly from where or for what. You knew he was related to Yuki, but at this point, you'd be more surprised to find out someone isn't related to him.

You swear you would have recognized a blonde-haired boy with a heavy accent. You're people blind, but even this is a bit much.

"(Y/n) (L/n), nice to meet you," You grab his hand and accept the shake. His face lights up with excitement and you can't even imagine why. It isn't like you're special or anything. You're 100% positive you've never spoken to him before too. Why is he so visibly thrilled?

"Yippee! I'm so happy!" He cheers as he grabs hold of your hand and begins pulling you away from where you were resting. "Let's go! Let's go!"

"Go where-?" You're cut off as he suddenly jerks you forward causing you to lose your breath for a moment. Your head reels.

This is why you don't like talking to people, they're all so confusing.

You wondered if he even knew what he was getting himself into. You're entirely unsocialized and people often talked about how much of a loser you were for being alone. He was in over his head, trying to become friends with someone like you, but even so, you felt strangely warm inside.

-

"What do you enjoy doing?" He asks as you sit outside on the stairs. You look up from your phone and sigh. You haven't had a moment of peace since you've become friends with him. He sits beside you and you can feel the intense stares. You worry for a second that maybe you have something on your face but brush it off after a moment of thought.

"I don't know," you shrug, peak at your phone as you see a notification pop up from your boss. You let a smile cross as you skim it for a second. "I like flowers a lot," you turn to him and your smile grows.

"Flowers? Really?"

"Yeah," you giggle and shift your body entirely so that you're fully facing him. "I work at a small flower shop in my neighborhood, my aunt runs it." you sigh, recounting your time at the flower shop. "I'm still learning, but one day I'm going to be just as good at arranging flowers as her. I can't wait!" He smiles and watches as you clench your hands into fists and giggle some more at the thought.