Host Club - Kauru

I always liked the girls that came by the club room, most of them weren't especially rude or in the way, in fact a majority of them were really quite nice. It wasn't a surprise that they ended up developing crushes on us and it wasn't a surprise that we had to feed into those crushes.

So why did I feel guilty with her?

She always smiled at us with blinding white teeth and big (color) eyes. There was nothing about her that really stood out, she wore her hair down and wore the uniform correctly. She sat still in her seat, didn't fidget, and made eye contact when she spoke. She talked with an almost excessive amount of poise, like she was 30 years old rather than 15.

Aside from knowing she was in my class and was friends with Haruhi, I knew virtually nothing about her. Typically during our sessions at the host club, the girls would talk about themselves a bit, but she never really did. She smiled and listened and nodded along to the other girls talking, unless directly spoken to she typically didn't say much. I don't know it was because she was uncomfortable or just not the talkative type.

She didn't seem like the type to come to a place like this at all, to be honest. Yet she made an effort to come weekly, despite never really looking as though she enjoys it too much.

"Let's play the which one is Hikaru game!" We both cheer as we put our hats on our heads. The girls cheer I turn as they watch us switch places a few times.

The girls take their turns guessing, mostly incorrectly, until finally it's (Y/n)'s turn to try. I give her a warm, almost encouraging smile and she points at me, "He's..." she pauses to think for a moment, a bubbly feeling developing deep within my chest, she looks to Hikaru then back to me before speaking, "he's Hikaru and you're Kauru," she points to my brother.

We shrug, "Uh-oh try again," we say in unison.

My heart beat slows and I have to stop myself from frowning immediately. What about her draws me in so much? It isn't like she can tell us apart like Haruhi can, so what is it?

"Oh man," she says with a light giggle, "I could have sworn I had gotten that one right."

"Come on, (Y/n), no need to lie to save their feelings," Haruhi says as she passes by. "They'll need to learn how bad this game is eventually."

(Y/n) giggles again at Haruhi's intervention, "I think it's fun," she says. Hikaru shakes his head. She follows Haruhi with her eyes for a few seconds before averting her attention back to Hikaru. He takes a sip of his tea, a small dribble falls from the side of the mug and down his chin. Her smile grows and I notice a blush spread onto her cheeks.

She likes him.

It's obvious.

I noticed it a few weeks ago, long after she first started coming here and long after my interest in her started too.

They would make a cute couple, if you put them side by side, it'd look like a fairy tale. There were two fatal flaws though, Hikaru liked Haruhi and (Y/n) couldn't tell the difference between us.

Girls have had crushes on us dozens of times before, confessed and everything...yet they can never tell the difference between us. How can they call that superficial, surface level fantasy of theirs love? It's embarrassing.

I've grown to resent a few of the girls that treated Hikaru and I that way, they show little care for our feelings and only ever see our handsome faces. They don't care about who we are as people.

Yet for some reason all I feel now is overwhelming sadness and I can't tell why. I've barely even spoken to this girl, she's not even particularly pretty, but it hurts me to see her look at my brother like that.