Free! - Haru

3rd person

Let me tell you a story. It's an unlikely tale of true love and admiration. Now, to start let me address a somewhat... controversial topic. Mermaids.

Do you believe in them? Are they real? Were they ever real? Questions about the possible species are endless.

Now to get it out of the way, yes they do exist. Though most mermaids can't stand exposure to oxygen, but the story is about one mermaid who is different.

Her name is (Y/N) (L/N). If you were another mermaid she would be nothing special. She was a sweet girl who had a small group of friends, a small happy family, and a lively pet crab.

If you were her friend you'd see her very differently. She was one of ten mermaids who could survive above water and she would go on and on and on about the antics of humans on the nearby shore.

One day her curiousity to know more than what she sees got the better of her. She ventured fowards the islands in the middle of the night while her friends were sound asleep. She found a beautiful cave that shined in the moonlight. Eventually she came there every few weeks to relax.

After about two years of having a schedule for her visits she met him. There wasn't much to him really. Black hair, blue eyes. He looked like any other human she had seen, but for some reason she was drawn to him. He was swimming in her cave and she had no idea how to react.

She tried to speak, but then realized she didn't know if the humans would speak the same way as her. She didn't want to look stupid in front of the boy.

In a fit of panic she quickly swam away, out the cave, back into the ocean where her loved ones were.

The boy was slightly alarmed by the sound of someone else swimming nearby and then he saw a glimpse of her beautiful shiny (F/C) tail.

He thought it had been his imagination for a second, thinking he was just too tired. Then he realized he was wide awake and that didn't make sense. He heard his friends calling for him nearby and he swam out the cave to meet with them.

The boy was only gonna be at the island for a few weeks so he was determined to see the person - or thing - that the tail belonged to.

The whole first week passed, nothing really happened. He went to the cave every night, but there was no sign of the girl. Eventually on the seventh day the girl returned. Her tail as shiny as the night he first say it.

The two made eye contact, no one said a thing. The girl was scared of looking stupid and the boy was completely and utterly in love.

The boy wasn't one to believe in the myth of love at first sight, but he started to believe. A smile crosses his face before he finally broke the ice, "I'm Haru."

Taken by surprise the girl learned that they did speak the same language and she smiled back, "I'm (Y/N). Nice to meet you."

Then they talked for hours. They met every night until the final night of his stay. He didn't want to leave. She didn't want him to leave. They were in love.

They couldn't help but to love one another despite being completely different. She offered to give up her tail for him, but he quickly objected and he offered his legs for her.

Eventually they came to the conclusion that they weren't meant for one another. One was bound to water, one was bound to land. Both wanted to be on the opposite of what they were given. It wouldn't have worked out.

They went their seperate ways. For many years they didn't see each other again. For many years they wished they could reverse time and be together again.

Then one day, (Y/N) came to the rash decision of going to a witch. The witch wasn't anymore than a normal mermaid who dabbled in a bit of magic. The witch passed (Y/N) a potion that would forever make her human.

The witch asked the girl at least twenty times if she was sure she wanted to go through with it. The girl confirmed it everytime then quickly made her way to the old cave. When she surfaced she drank the whole potion in one nasty go and she was quickly struck by a wave of pain as her bone structure began changing.

For about a week she laid in that cave, in pain, holding back tears. For a week she had to survive the demands of food.

After the worst week of her life she left the cave and started her new life.

Before long she wad miserable. Life out in the ocean was so much easier than this up here. She didn't know a thing other than the small amount of stuff that Haru told her.

Many months passed before she got the hang of things. Months then became years, two years to be exact. That's when she met Haru again.

He looked the same. Then again its only been about five years. He frowned and snapped at her for getting rid of her gorgeous tail.

She was on the brink of tears whenever he squeezed her into a death grip of a hug.

Now they are happily married with one kid and another on the way. Many believe they met at a romantic park, but only they know how they truly met. They plan on keeping it that way.