Chapter 53

4 days later

Derek and I were packing to go camping this weekend with Lexie. We were going there tonight. I grabbed my backpack and put my flashlight, knife, blanket, toilet paper in the bottom of it. Nova was coming with us because Derek wanted to teach her how to fish. He bought her a little pink fishing pole. Derek was packing the tent in his bag. I grabbed dried food that we pour water into and it makes actual food. I put my water bottle in my bag. We packed everything and put it into the car. I had my hiking shoes on and put my water shoes in my bag. I put Nova's bag inside the car. Our sleeping bags were also in our backpacks and Nova had a little pink one. I put nova into her car seat and Derek came back outside with the fishing poles. I went into the front seat and he sat next to me. We drove to pick Lexie. We went to Lexie's house. She walked out and brought her bag into the car. She sat next to Nova. I drove us to the camp site and we drove through. A fair amount of people were here. We were here to live off the wild for 2 days. No phones, nothing. We parked on the gravel and got out of our car. We each took our bags and Derek grabbed the fishing poles. Lexie grabbed Novas bag and I held Nova around my waist. We went to the dirt path and started our journey in the woods. Derek had his compass and we kept walking through the woods. After about an hour we found a amazing little part of flat land next to a lake. It was getting cold and dark. Derek and Lexie were setting up their tents. I was sitting next to the lake with nova. She threw little pebbles into the water. It was getting really cold. I got up and went into my bag. I grabbed my knife. I put Nova next to Derek and walked over to trees. I cut wood off of them and brought a pile over to the lake. I sat it down and grabbed some back rocks. I put them into a little circle next to the lake. I put the wood and leaves in the middle of the circle. I went back to my bag and put the knife away. I grabbed a match and lit it. I walked over to the little pile of wood and leaves. I put the match onto it and it lit up. I grabbed a big log and drug it over by the fire.

"I'm finished" Derek said

I walked over and grabbed our bags. I brought them into the tent.

"It's roomie" I said

"Yeah I'm going to help lexie" he said handing me nova

I grabbed her and sat her next to me inside of the tent. I took the sleeping bags out of each of our bags. I rolled them out and grabbed a big blanket that I brought. I put it on the sleeping bags. It was freezing. I changed nova into her pajamas and put one of my coats onto her. I wrapped her in the big blanket and she sat next to me. I waited for her to fall asleep. She finally did and I left the tent. I zipped the door shut. I walked over to the fire and sat by it. Derek came over to me. Lexie was putting her stuff into her tent that was next to ours. I put my hands over the fire and started heating them

"Are you hungry" he asked

"A little bit" I said

He got up and went to our tent. He unzipped it and walked in. I got up and went to Lexie. I was freezing.

"Hey lex" I said

She unzipped her tent

"Yes" she asked

"We're going to make food. Want some" I asked

"Sure. Give me a couple minutes" she said

"Okay" I said zipping her tent back

Derek came out of our tent. He started heating a pot over the fire.

"I brought chili" he laughed

I started laughing. The food heated up and he started pouring them into bowls. I felt a rain drop

"It's raining" I said

He held his hand out and felt a raindrop on it.

"Here get these inside" he said handing me 2 bowls.

He got up and went over to Lexie's tent. I went to our tent and unzipped it. I went inside and sat next to nova. I waited for the food to cool off to give it to her

"Nova" I whispered

She started waking up. Derek came into the tent with his silver bowl. I started feeding her with her baby spoon. I waited for her to finish and grabbed some wet ones. The rain started getting louder outside. I wiped her mouth and put the wipe away. I gave her some water. Derek was finished with his chili. I started eating mine and finally finished. We took our heavy hiking clothes off. I put the bowls outside of the tent so that they would get cleaned. I laid down in my sleeping back and put a blanket around Nova and I. I held her tight into my body. She was freezing. Derek laid down and I looked at him. He turned the lantern on next to us. He leaned in and kissed my lips. We slowly pulled away and he held my hand. He looked deep into my eyes and smiled. I looked down at Nova. She was sleeping. I looked back at him.

"Are you still cold" he asked

"I'm freezing" I said

He got up with his sleeping bag. I walked behind me and sat down.

"What are you doing" I smiled scooting further away

"Keeping you warm" I smiled laying down and wrapping his arm around Nova and I.

I scooted back into him. I gave him some of the blanket and he wrapped it around all of us. He turned the lantern off and buried his head into my back.

"Tomorrow we are going on a hike if it stops raining and I'm definitely taking nova fishing" he mumbled

The thunder started coming and it was loud. Nova woke up and started crying.

"Shhh Nova it's okay. I'm here. Mommy and Daddy's here" I said kissing her cheek

I turned her around to face me and wiped her eyes with my thumb. She kept crying. I hugged her. Derek held us both into him.

"Grab a stuffed animal from her bag" I said

"Okay" he said grabbing her bag

He handed me a little bear and lion. I put it in Nova's arms and she held on to both of them. She finally stopped crying and started to play with the animals. After a couple minutes, she finally fell back to sleep. Derek was sleeping behind me and I finally started to go to sleep.

Until I heard a scream. I quickly sat up. Derek sat up next to me.

"Did you hear that" I asked

"Yeah" he said

I quickly grabbed my knife and flashlight. The rain was starting to dial down

"Mer stay here" he said

"I can. I help to help them" I said and the person screamed again

I unzipped the tent and walked out. I went to check out the noise. I kept walking.

"Hello" I kept saying.

"Hel-" I said and felt someone cover my mouth

Derek's POV

Mer left to look for someone that sounded hurt or scared. Nova was still asleep. I was going to help Mer look but she was only walking near us. She couldn't go too far. I waited about an hour. She wasn't back yet. I grabbed my knife and flashlight. I left nova. I went over to Lexie's tent.

"Lexie" I said  

I unzipped her tent a little bit. She was gone. I feel like she went to look for Mer.

FRIDAY THE 13th??? 🤣🤣