Chapter 13

5 days later

I finally go back to work today. I have been waiting forever. Finally. I woke up early and took a shower. I brushed my teeth and after awhile I started eating breakfast. Derek came down and put his hands on my shoulders. He started massaging me. I moaned slightly. He kissed my neck. He ate a granola bar and left. We didn't drive together because we didn't want anyone to know we were actually dating. Izzie and George kind of did. They didn't talk about it though. They let us have our space. I got up from the table and grabbed my keys. I walked out of the house with Izzie and George. I drove us to the hospital and we all went into the intern locker room. We changed into our scrubs. We were with Bailey today and we went to the ambulance bay.

"What do we got" Bailey asked when the ambulance pulled up and the medic got out.

3 medics brought the gurney down.

"Nick McDonald, 82, suffered a stroke, right pupils blown" one of the medics said as interns took the gurney

"Trauma room 3" Bailey said

I pushed the gurney with a Cristina and Alex. We went to the trauma room.

"Page Shepherd and Burke" bailey said

They were paged. Derek came in.

"What do we got" Derek said

He eyed me and smiled. He looked at the patient and walked over to him.

"Grey pre-sent" Bailey said

"Nick McDonald blown pupil after a stroke" I said

Derek checked the patients exams

"Ok we need an OR stat" he said

We got the patient prepped quickly. The interns didn't get to scrub in on this surgery. I have no idea why, but I was stuck on scut work while Bailey was in the OR. Her interns were all on scut. I was paged to the OR by Dr. Shepherd

"You got a page too" Cristina asked

"Yes" I said confused

We fast walked to the OR. We scrubbed in

"What's going on" I asked through my mask

I was getting gowned and gloved. A nurse tied my scrub cap.

"You two wanna learn" Burke asked

Cristina and I looked at each other. We both looked back at the attendings and nodded our heads. I went by shepherd and Cristina went by Burke.

"I asked for George" Derek whispered seriously

I didn't say anything. A nurse put goggles on my face and I looked at the brain. It was like a magnifying glass. I looked close and saw all the amazing things about the brain. Derek went all the way down to his third ventricle which was by his brain stem. This was fascinating. I looked up at him and he looked down at me. His eyes sparkled bright. He smiled under his mask and I did the same. He went back to the brain and tried to repair some of the tissue. He did and placed a stint in his brain. He put the skull flap back on and closed up. We were all scrubbing out. About an hour later we were in the patients room doing pre ops.

"George pre-sent" Bailey said to George who had the chart in his hands and was standing next to the patient.

"Nick McDonald, came in from post stroke and Dr. Shepherd-" he said and Derek walking in

He came next to me eying me and smiling.

"Dr. Shepherd-" George kept talking and I wasn't listening