Chapter 33: Lies.

After the two males had their breakfast and had gotten dressed into presentable clothing. The prince led Jeongguk out of his quarters and they walked down the hall. The staff, though busy running around, didn't give the two a glance as they made their way towards the throne room. The echo of their steps just built up their anxiety within their chest and up their throat.

The two males took a breath before entering the room and meeting the king's gaze. It was hollow, dark even, something that could cut through their souls if they didn't have mental steel walls built up. They stepped forward, slower than what they normally would, but nonetheless walked forward towards the king.

"Where have you been for the past two days..?" His voice was slow yet had a darkness to it that matched his gaze.

"I had heard about the village, a few mountains over, that was in need of some help so I decided to go and help them," Taehyung explained though lying through his teeth.

"For two days..?" The king pushed.

"Well… it was mostly travel there and back but I did stay the night there, so yes" The prince nodded.

"Is what my son is saying true…" The king wondered. "Well servant is it?" His gaze shifted to the warlock.

"It is indeed your highness" Jeongguk bowed as he kept his eyes away from the king's hardened gaze.

"Good, good…" he nodded to himself. "Did you or did you not go with him?"

Jeongguk gulped and took a breath before nodding. "Yes your highness, I did go with him, though it was because of the rules in which I have to stay by his side as his personal servant and follow orders"

"Well… you did indeed follow orders and the rules set" the King hummed as he rubbed his chin with his gloved hand. "There will be no punishment, if you hadn't gone with him, well that would've been a different story, but since you did go with him there is no punishment"

Taehyung looked at his father with a confused look. Something was off, definitely. He knew his father and he knew him well. His father wouldn't just let people go off without punishment. There had to be something else. As soon as he heard the warlock let out a sigh of relief he saw his father's hand go up to stop them.

"But as for going out without my knowledge or permission, your servant and you, Taehyung, will have to do double the amount of hunts and training for two weeks" the king looked at the two. "Is that fair?"

"Very fair," Taehyung nodded.

"Yes, your highness," Jeongguk nodded as well.

"Good, now go" he waved them off. "Before I change my mind" he warned.

The two males nodded and quickly walked out of the throne room feeling rather confused by the sudden actions of the king. Both males were quiet as they walked back to the prince's quarters. Taehyung was trying to wrap his head around the fact that his father didn't punish Jeongguk. While Jeongguk was trying to figure out how the king didn't get angry over them leaving.

"That was…" Jeongguk started as the prince opened his quarters room door and let the warlock step inside first before following and closing it after.

"..strange.." Taehyung chuckled. "He has never acted like that.. rather calm…" he shook his head in disbelief.

"Is there a person mind controlling him…?" Jeongguk questioned aloud.

"No, we would've known by now if there was a new person in the castle" Taehyung pointed out  "word gets around you know"

"That is true…" the warlock nodded. "But why is he being so…?"

"Lenient? Nice?" Taehyung threw words out that felt like they made sense. "Who knows, but I think it won't stay for long" he tapped the side of his nose.