Episode 2-5: Magical Shift Competing!

"Magical Shift tournament"?  Come again?", Kalin.  I keep learning something new in this world.

"Dude, Kalin...  You've never heard of Magift?!", Ace.  I shook my head, and his eyes went wide.  "It's a world-famous sport!  There's even a pro league and a world championship tournament.", Deuce.

"I ain't never heard of this neither!", Grim.

"Magical Shift, magift for short, is a sport played by competing teams seven people.  Basically, players battle for control of a disc and earn points by drivin' it into the enemy team's goal.  The team with the most points wins!", Ace explained.

"So like kicking a ball around?", Kalin.  I don't know why I thought this, it just first came to mind after hearing Ace explain.

"Kicking a ball...?  You mean soccer?", Deuce.

"Hm.  That could be something, but I'll look it up the next time I'm at the library.  Perhaps it will yield some sort of clue.", Crowley.

"Oh, man, I just realized that Kalin would have a hard time actually playing.", Ace.

"Yeah?  Why's that?", Grim.  I also look to Ace.

"You need magic to play.  Not only do you move the disc with magic, but you use it to attack and defend, too.", Deuce answered.

"*sigh* Why am I not surprised...", Kalin.

"The flashier the magic, the better-- it's how players show off their skills!", Ace continued despite my comment on the matter.

"Yes, quite!  That is why Night Raven College is known throughout the world as a leader in the sport!  This school has produced countless pro players!  That's why our interdorm Magical Shift tournament attract attention even from pro league recruiters.  Also, those simply looking for up-and-coming magicians use the event to scout hopeful candidates.  Yes, the tournament is quite an affair.  The campus will be full of visitors and lined with various kiosks.  And the main event will be captured by television cameras and broadcast worldwide.", Crowley.

"Television cameras?!", Kalin.  There's so much to process from what Crowley explained about this sport.  Such a shame I can't even participate as a player though...

""It's broadcast throughout the world?!  So you're sayin' that if I were to play in this tournament-- and win of course-- the whole world would see it?!", Grim.

"Of course!  Players who excel at the tournament invariably attract great attention.  Both from the pro leagues and the public at large!", Crowley.

"In your case, the magic would barely even matter.  Just having a monster like you out there is sure to turn heads.", Deuce.

"It's settled, then!  I'm gonna train around the clock, join a team, and become a legend!", Grim.

"Alas, Grim, you cannot enter.", Crowley.

"...Wait, what?", Grim froze from his words.

"Did you not hear me speak the word "interdorm" multiple times?  Your dorm doesn't even have seven members.  Therefore, you cannot enter the tournament.", Crowley.

"Whaaaaaat?!  No faaaair!", Grim.

"But there's plenty else to do, from tending to the grounds to selling drinks in the stands!  Those who stand upon the field are not the only stars of tournament day.", Crowley.  I like how he thinks this will make Grim feel better.

"Not. Interested!  I wanna be on TV!  I want everyone in the world fawning over me!  "Squeee!  Grim is sooooo cool!"  "Did you see that play Grim made?"  You get what I'm sayin'?", Grim as he cried.

"Your delusions are oddly specific, dude.", Ace.  "Well, if you can't field a team, I'm afraid that's that.  Maybe next year, Ramshackle House will get some new members.  But it's not happening this year.", Deuce.

"Anyway, as I believe I've mentioned, I'm a busy man.  I must be off.", Crowley.

"Yeah, thanks for takin' time outta your busy day to build up my dreams and crush 'em!  Myaaah!  *sob*", Grim says as he walks with Ace and Deuce.  Deuce notices me standing behind.

"Hey, Kalin.  You coming?", Deuce.  Ace turns too to notice.  Grim, however, is too distracted in his tears to care.

"Yeah, I'll catch up with you.  Just give me a second.", Kalin.

"Well, ok then.  Meet you in the next class, Kalin.", Deuce.  The others soon left the doors.

Crowley was gathering his materials for the meeting at his desk as I approached him.

"Headmage, Crowley.", Kalin.  "Hm, what is it, Kalin?  Aren't you going to class?", Crowley gave me a questioned look.

"Oh, I am.  I just wanted to give the photos I took on what happened the last few days, including the overblot incident.", I pulled out the photos I had printed along with it.

"Ahh, well done, Kalin.  I knew I could count on you to give me the full report on daily school activities of the other students.", Crowley says as he examines the photos I gave him.

"Umm, if it's possible...  but could I keep the photos once your done with them or at least make copies for myself.", Kalin.  "Oh?  But you already have the photos to keep.", Crowley.

"Oh I know. it's just... it's like you said.  Making many memories here at this school, and I still don't have a lot of recovered memories since my arrival here, so I thought... this could be something to remember by.  For when I go back to wherever I came from, I mean.", Kalin.  Crowley gives me a silent look, thinking, for a moment.

"Alright, very well then.  You can have copies once I'm done with the reports.  Aren't I just gracious of a Headmage?", Crowley.  "Oh, thank you, Headmage.", I didn't even care that he said the gracious line again.  I'm just glad I could keep them, along with the future ones.

"Just as long as you keep it up and report it to me every now and then.", Crowley reminded me.  "I will.", Kalin.  "Well, I'll send them to your dorm when I'm done.  Until then, off to your next class.", Crowley turned to his back continuing to examine the rest of the photos.

"Yes.", Kalin.  I turned to take my leave through the doors.  The guys weren't long ahead of me and I ran to catch up to them.  Ace asked me what was up, and I explained to both of them what I asked of Crowley, with the camera in hand, on the way to our next class period.