Episode 2-17: A Giveaway Effect!

When we made our way to the cafeteria, I grabbed a couple of Danishes while were here.  I also made sure to get Grim some as well so he doesn't bother me about his hunger before lunch in class. 

We looked around to see if our student to question is here.  Grim hops unto my shoulder to get a better look.

"Jamil has long, black hair.  Let's see...  Ah, there he is!", Cater.

Down straight into our view was a table with Jamil and a friend of his with him.  Assuming he's Kalim from the opening ceremony.

"You're the guy who got banged up in the kitchen yesterday, right?  Mind if we chat?", Grim.

"What is this?  An inquisition?", Jamil.  "Oh, hey!  That's the raccoon who set my rear on fire at orientation!", Kalim.

"Grim.  You need to work on your tone.  Tact is important for these sorts of things.  Forgive us for interrupting your breakfast.", Riddle.

"Wow, the Heartslabyul housewarden and the fire-spitting raccoon.  Ahaha, what a fun combo!", Kalim.

"I ain't a raccoon!  The  name's Grim.  And that's my-- Eep!", Grim is cut off as I pull his cheek before he finishes.  The guys, including the Scarabia duo was surprised by my course of action.  "Oww, oww.  I mean this is Kalin.", Grim says as I let go.

"Huh!  Well, I'm Kalim, Scarabia's housewarden.  And that's my vice housewarden, Jamil.", Kalim.

"Uh, sure.  Man, this guy throws me off.", Grim.

"So, why are you asking about my accident?", Jamil looks to me and Grim.

"We're just inspecting the kitchen for safety issues is all.", Kalin.

"Huh...  Well, not that I particularly mind.  Last night, I was in the kitchen frying up some lamb rolls at Kalim's request.", Jamil.  "Oh man, you guys have NO idea how amazing Jamil's lamb rolls are.  You've gotta try 'em one day.", Kalim.  "Can we stay focused here, Kalim?", Jamil.  "Ah, right.  Sorry!", Kalim.

"When I was chopping the ingredients, it was like my knife hand went wild and cut my other hand all on it's own.", Jamil.  "It makes no sense!  Even the dorm's head chef can attest to Jamil's legendary knife skills.  Were you tired from Magical Shift practice, maybe?", Kalim.  "No.  Not so tired I couldn't control my hands.  But at one point while I was cooking, I did feel kind of light-headed.", Jamil.

"You got dizzy?", Kalin.

"Most people would think that, but I know that sensation.  I think I was feeling the effects of someone's unigue magic.", Jamil.

Both Cater and Riddle's eyes widened at the mention of unigue magic.

"Oh, right!  Because your unigue magic is-- MMMPH!", Kalim was saying until Jamil closed in on him and put his hand to his mouth to keep him from talking.

"Pffft!  Why'd you put your hand over my mouth?!", Kalim.  "Because we're not talking about me here.  Anyway, my theory is that someone was controlling my movements with magic.", Jamil.

*(!) Hmm... Interesting. (!)*

"Interesting...  That WOULD be a way to hurt people and have it appear like it was nothing more than the victim's own carelessness.", Cater.  "And if it only lasted an instant, even the victim might perceive it as his own mistake.  When I nearly fell down the stairs, I never felt as though I was being controlled against my will.", Riddle.  "Well, I guess this is kind of a lead?  What's our next move, guys?", Cater.

"A spell that can control someone...  If I could learn how to cast that, I could really clean up on bakery day!", Grim.  "Seriously, Grim?", Kalin.

"Such small-mindedness...  Truly, Grim?  That's as far as your ambitions extend?", Riddle.

"Man, imagine eating all the deluxe grilled cheese I wanted--- Huh?", Grim stopped mid-sentence.

"Come to think of it, at bakery day...", Kalin.

~Flashback~

"Might you be willing to trade your deluxe grilled cheese for this very exciting hot dog bun?", Ruggie.

"Whaaat?!  You must be outta your mind, dude!", Grim.

"Oh, come now.  Let's not be like that.  Here, have the hot dog bun, I insist.", Ruggie.

"Myah?  What in the name of tuna...?!  My paws are movin' on their own!", Grim.

~Flashback End~

"AAAAAHHHHH!", Grim.

All of us except me was startled by his scream.  I wasn't startled because I was thinking the same thing he was.  It was the way he moved his hands to trade with Grim.  I didn't think anything of it then until now.

"WHOA!  Why are we screaming?!", Kalim.

"I, Grim, Expert Detective, have solved the case!  I know who's got that unigue magic!", Grim.

"What?", Riddle.

"The culprit is... Ruggie Bucchi!", I stated it since Grim was in between excitement and angry from being reminded of that day.

"Ruggie?  That lil' dude from Savanaclaw?", Cater.  "Let's track him down and see what he has to say.", Riddle.  "Hmmm...  Looks like Ruggie's in class 2B.", Cater.  "Thank you both for your cooperation!", Riddle.

"I'm still kinda lost here, but good luck!", Kalim.

We headed out of the cafeteria and into the hall ready to go after him.