Episode 4-3: Leaving for the Holidays!

"Hey, guys!  You can stop standing in the middle of the hall and blocking traffic now!", Ruggie.

"Ruggie?  Wait, what's with all that luggage?!  A backpack, three duffle bags, and a giant cooler...", Deuce.

Ruggie had different loads on him and he was carrying them all like nothing.

*(!) Guess it does pay to work under Leona. (!)*

"Oh this?  Shyeheehee.  I took all the food that was about to hit it's sell-by date at the cafeteria and the school store.  Since we're about to go on break, they gave 'em to me basically for free.", Ruggie.

"For real?  There's no way you can eat all that.", Ace.

"You'd be surprised.  The neighborhood kids devour this stuff like, well... a pack of hyenas.  Besides, gotta make sure my grandma eats well over the holidays.  Speakin' of which, this frozen food ain't stayin' frozen for long.  Gotta run!  Smell ya next year!", Ruggie then runs off to the line.

"There he goes...  What was that about "neighborhood kids", though?", Ace.

"Ruggie comes from a place where food is a bit scarce.  So whenever school lets out for a long break, he stocks up on all the food he can get and shares it with the local kids.", Jack.

"What about you, Jack?  What's with that planter you're hauling?  You taking up gardening or something?", Ace.

"It's a cactus I've been growin' in my free time.  It'd wither up if I didn't keep it watered over break.", Jack.

As I examine the cactus plant he's holding, I also noticed a book about tropic plants and soils peeking out of his bag.

"Hm?  See something?", Jack notices my staring.  

"Oh, no.  I just was wondering about this book.  Your really into gardening, huh.", Kalin.

"I'm just borrowing it over the break.  Taika saw me as I was on my way out this morning.  When he saw I was taking my cactus plant, he let me borrow this book and told me to look it over during the break.  He just left after that, and I'd figure it wouldn't hurt.", Jack.

"Huh...", Kalin.

*(!) Taika...  Did he really give up gardening, I wonder? (!)*

"A-anyway, enough about me!", Jack.

"Ruggie's sharin' his food with a bunch of kids who ain't even family, huh?  Never knew he had it in him.", Grim.

"Hyenas believe in sharing spoils equally.  I'm sure that's how Ruggie was raised.", Jack.

*(!) Hmm.  Ruggie is more thoughtful than I initially thought.  I guess things aren't always as they seem. (!)*

"Hmph.  The mere thought of a feeding frenzy like that gives me the willies.  I can barely stand the noise one kid makes as it is.", Leona.

The sound of Leona's voice was right behind me as I was in thought, and I immediately turn around and see him standing as if he was there the whole time.  He just looked at me like my startled reaction was nothing.

"Does that mean you're skipping out on visiting your family, Leona?", Jack.

"Man, I wish.  Nah, they'd give me no end of grief if I did.  I'm goin'.  Ugh, talk about a holiday chore.", Leona.

"But you're not bringing anything?", Jack.

"So?  I got my wallet and smartphone.  What else do I need?  I've got clothes at home anyway.", Leona.

"That's a whole different kind of extreme.", Grim.  "You're not even bringing your homework, are you?", Ace.

"Homework can wait until after break.  Holidays are for resting.  Later, herbivores.", Leona.

As he passes by me, he smirks as he quickly ruffled my hair.  I still fixed it regardless if it was for a second.

"He's good enough to do anything when he applies himself, so why doesn't he?  Well, I know I'll be getting mine done.  You guys had better do the same.  Later.", Jack.

"See ya, Jack.", Kalin.

"Whatever you say, tryhard.  See you next year, huh?", Ace.  "Leona's commitment to his principles is actually impressive.", Deuce.

"Okay, froshes!  Don't let those bad boy upperclassmen give you any bad ideas, you hear?", Cater.  "In our dorm, if you don't turn in your homework, Riddle makes sure it's off with your head.", Trey.

"Hey, Trey.  Hey, Cater.", Ace.

"Ugh.  Going home is kind of a drag for me, too.  I just know my sisters are both coming home.  They don't care if it's the holidays-- they'll run me ragged anyway.  I wish I could stay over at your house instead, Trey!", Cater.  "You'd be welcome to, but we'd be running you just as ragged.  Winter is the patisserie's busiest time of the year.", Trey.  "Oh yeah, your family runs one of those, huh?  So much for any escape.", Cater.

"......", Riddle.

"Erk!  Housewarden Rosehearts!  Sorry for blocking the way!", Deuce.

"Hm?  Oh, it's you boys.  If you're going to stand around and congregate, at least stay near a wall.", Riddle.

"Huh, he's soundin' kinda defeated.", Grim.  "Oh, right.  The housewarden's got an extreme case of helicopter parenting waiting for him at home.  No wonder he's not enthused about heading back.", Ace.

"Riddle...", Kalin.

"Riddle, I'm not allowed in your house, so I won't be able to bring by any cakes...  But you're always welcome to visit me at the store.  I'm sure Chenya will drop by to hang out, too.", Trey.  "Yes, you're right.  I think... I'm going to try talking with Mother some.  I don't know if she'll listen, but even so.", Riddle.  "...All right.  Good luck.", Trey.

"What'sa matter, Goldfishie?  Don't wanna go home?", Floyd.