Episode 2-9: Investigating a Scheme!

After arriving in Heartslabyul Dormitory, we've heard that Trey is up in his room recovering.

"Yo, man, how's it going?", Ace.  "How are you feeling, Trey?", Deuce.  "We came all this way just to see your sorry face.  It's cool-- don't get up.", Grim.

"Well, if it isn't the A-Deuce combo!  And Grim and Kalin too!  You're rolling deep today.", Cater greets us.

"Hey, Cater...  I'm lost.  Whaddaya mean by "A-Deuce" thing?", Ace.

"I mean it's you guys!  You're Ace, he's Deuce-- that's what you call an Ace Deuce in poker!", Cater.

"Don't give us a couple nickname!", Deuce.  "Riiight...  Anyway, how d'you feel, Trey?  And how'd you get hurt?", Ace.

"Slipped on the stairs.  I couldn't catch myself, and my ankle got all messed up.  I'll be on crutches for a while.", Trey.

"Yikes.  That sounds pretty bad!", Deuce.

"Yep.  Looks like I'll be warming the bench at the Magift tournament this year.", Trey.

"Myah...  I was hopin' your injury would be small enough for me to justify keepin' this, but...  Here.  I brought ya a get-well can of tuna.  Feel better, specs.", Grim.

"Heh.  Thanks.", Trey.

*(!) Wow...  Grim must have snuck one of the ones I bought earlier on our way out. (!)*

Seeing Grim act like this, I couldn't help pat his head.  But he tries to shove it off, acting like it was nothing.  Both Trey and I gave a little laugh to his reaction.

"Ugh, cut me some slack.  Now that we've lost a power player, we have to redo our team roster!", Cater.

"Wait, what?!", Ace and Deuce say with a grin.

A knock was at the door, and came in Riddle.

"Why are there so many people in here?  Trey is supposed to be resting!", Riddle.

"Myah!  It's Ragin' Riddle!", Grim.  "I am not "raging."  I will be perfectly pleasant if you obey the rules!  How are you doing, Trey?  Can I bring you anything to eat or drink?", Riddle goes to Trey's side.

"I told you, Riddle: you don't need to fuss over me like this.", Trey.

"But it's my fault that you got hurt.", Riddle had a guilty expression.

"What?  He didn't tell us that part!", Ace.

"I needed to talk to him, so I went to the junior classroom at lunch.  And then...", Riddle.

~~~Flashback~~~

At the stairway...

"I'm going to be late today, so go ahead and start practice without me.", Riddle.

"Sure, will do.", Trey.

"All right, I'll see you-- Wh-whoooa!", Riddle involuntarily starts to fall.

"Riddle, look out!", Trey jumps in and ends up taking the fall.

~~Flashback End~~

"Trey never would have slipped if he hadn't caught me when I was about to tumble over.", Riddle.

"Yeah, but if I hadn't, you would have just broken your fall with a flight spell.  It was stupid of me to intervene.  So you don't owe me anything.", Trey.

"Still, I...", Riddle.

"Hey, Kalin, d'you think...?", Ace whispers in my ear.  "Yeah.  This may not have been an accident.  Something is going on.", I whisper back to Ace.  But I think our secret discretion caught Cater's eye, since I caught him glancing my way.

"Riddle, come on!  It's not gonna do anyone any good to have you harshing the vibe here.  It's lame that Trey got hurt, but you'll rock the field that much harder to make up for him, right?", Cater just went on talking to Riddle as if he didn't noticed us.

"Well, I suppose that's true.", Riddle.

"All right, we should let Trey get his rest.  Out, out, out!", Cater sways us to the door, out in the lounge.

"All right, Cater.  Was there something you didn't want to tell me in front of Trey?", Riddle.  "You're always a step ahead of me, Riddle.  I get the feeling Kalin and the group know something about it.  Want to fill us in?", Cater.

*(!) Yep, he caught on to us earlier... (!)*

"Right, so...", Kalin.  I start to explain everything up to now to both Riddle and Cater.