Episode 3-16: Hasty Schemes!

Eventually, we hit the cafeteria after practice.

"Nothing beats a good breakfast after workin' up a sweat!  Grim craves protein-- bring on the MEAT!", Grim.

Grim wasn't kidding about the meat, he literally had three to four ham and egg sandwiches, which had more ham than egg, like there was no tomorrow.  After he was done he was eyeing my plate which had pancakes, eggs, and sausage.  He was mostly eyeing the sausage, but I put my hand to his forehead pushing him back a little before he could get to them.

"So like, what were you thinking, cuttin' a deal with that cephalo-punk?  How stupid can you get?  Now you're crampin' MY style as a result.", Leona.

*(!) Ah, he's still mad about that... (!)*

"Well, it's like this...", Kalin.

I start to explain everything that happened and when I was done...

"Hah!  You made a deal to free all the chumps who contracted with him to get ahead in their finals?  BAH HA HA!  That's rich.  I shudder to imagine being that dumb.", Leona.

He basically laughed at it to his amusement.

"Rumor has it that Azul's study guide is the real deal, though.  I kinda get why people would wanna get their hands on that.", Ruggie.  "So you guys steered clear of Azul's scheme, huh?  I figured you'd go for the easiest out of you could get, Leona...  Ah, no offense, of course.", Jack.  "Are you kidding?  Who in their right mind would voluntarily keep making deals with that swindler?  I've made a few deals and paid the piper for 'em.  There's always a steep catch.", Leona.  "Yeah, he ain't the kinda guy you wanna turn to as your first resort.  He's definitely a capable magician, though.  He can grant some real tall orders just like that.", Ruggie.  "The guy who wants something outta a deal is always the one at a disadvantage.  That's Negotiating 101.  When dimwitted herbivores sign contracts on a whim, they always end up getting suckered somehow.", Leona.

The more they talked about it from either experience or rumors, the more I feel like I'm in over my head again.

"Alright, now I'm getting nervous...", Kalin.

I put my fork down as I now lose my appetite again.

"Y'know what?  Let's hear it.  What were your terms, exactly?", Leona looked to me before I decided to push my plate away.

I explained the whole ordeal with the contract with Azul.

"Before the sun sets on the third day after signing...", Leona.  "You have to sneak into the Atlantica Memorial Museum, steal a photo, and bring it back?", Ruggie.

".....", Leona and Ruggie were silent for a moment.

"Boy...  Stinks to be you.", Ruggie.

And the down feeling came back again in full.

"Hey, we ain't even gotten started yet!  Don't go jinxin' us!", Grim.

"Isn't the Atlantica Memorial Museum underwater?  How are you gonna get there, brainiac?", Ruggie.

"They gave us water-breathin' potions.", Grim.

"No idea how well they work, though.", Jack.  "Huh.  If Azul gave 'em to you, they probably work just fine.  He's got his pride.  I doubt he'd ever give someone a wonky potion.", Ruggie.  "Hm...  I'd get the ball rolllin' now, if I were you.  Time is money, as they say.", Leona.

"Myah!  Good idea!  Hey, Kalin, let's hit up the Atlantica Memorial Museum right now!", Grim.  "Good call.  With only three days, we don't have any leeway here.", Jack.  "I'm bringin' Ace and Deuce along, too.  Let's mosey!", Grim.

Grim and Jack went ahead of me to exit the cafeteria.  I grabbed one last bite from my pancakes and rushed to catch up to them.

"Aaand they're gone.  I gotta say, Leona-- you're a real piece of work.", Ruggie says as he grabs Kalin's plate and starts to eat her leftover food.  "Hah.  I've got no idea what you're talkin' about.", Leona.

As they were sitting, they had a visitor come approach them.

"Hm?  What are you doing here, Taika?", Ruggie.  Leona looks disinterested with him showing up.  "Hey, Leona, we need to talk.", Taika seats himself across from Leona.  "Hm?  What about?", Leona.  "I want to discuss about what went on at practice this morning.", Taika.  

Leona's attention was brought, but he still looked as if he didn't want to go into it.  

"I know you saw it, too, Leona.  How she played out there.", Taika wasn't budging.  "What's this now?", Ruggie was a bit confused as he was eating.  

Leona was silent staring back at Taika to see how serious he was.  

"*Sigh*  Make it quick.", Leona.