Episode 4-17: Getting Together Late!

When we finally made it to the dry oasis...

"*Pant*  *Wheeze*  I think I've got a whole desert's worth of sand in my throat.  Kalim, gimme some water!", Grim.

"How DARE you take that tone with me.", Kalim.

"Eep!", Grim.

Grim leapt behind my leg.

"I am not your faucet.  If you want water, draw it from the oasis yourselves.", Kalim.

"You mean the one that's bone dry?  How?", Scarabia Student A.  "This is going beyond tyranny...", Scarabia Student B.  "Seriously, what's wrong with the housewarden?", Scarabia Student C.

"Don't worry, I came prepared for this.  We've got camels loaded with water.  Offload it and share it amongst yourselves.", Jamil.

Everyone went to the camels to do that, and I managed to get some for me and Grim.  But with water in hand, I wanted to see if the scales would disappear again like the last time.  Especially now, since it was starting to burn on my skin the longer they stayed.  It was like the heat was piling on top and building stacks, and each stack gets hotter.

After giving Grim his share, I walked a little ways to give me some privacy from the others.  When I saw no one was looking, I decided to pour the water from my jug container onto my arm and see what happens.  There's a slight burn feeling from the touch of the water.  Hoping that it would disperse like before when I was done pouring, but what I saw next was no change.

"What?  But why?  It worked before.", Kalin.

I kept staring to see if it was a delay effect, but some more scales emerged on my skin when it was laid before the sun.  After seeing that, I pulled my sleeve back on to prevent further change.  So now I try to drink the leftover water, and it was refreshing to cool off from the beating sun.  Unfortunately, I could still feel the heat from my arms, and no matter how much I drank the burning sensation didn't go away.

So I walked back to where Grim was, and started to overhear the students talking with Jamil.

"Thank you.  If only you were housewarden, Jamil.", Scarabia Student A.

"Perish the thought.  And don't vocalize it.  What if Kalim heard you?", Jamil.

"But it's true!", Scarabia Student A.

"Even before Housewarden Kalim started acting like this, you were the one doing most of his duties, Jamil.", Scarabia Student B.

"Shhh.  It's fine.  It's my family's honor-- actually, no, it's MY honor to serve the Asims.  Drink your water and rest up.  It's getting hotter now that the sun's high in the sky.  The march back will only be worse.", Jamil.

"Jamil...", Scarabia Student A.

"Here Grim, take this.", Kalin.  "What?", Grim.

I handed him my jug of water.  Even though he was still drinking from his share, he was still sweating bullets.

"But Kalin...", Grim.  "Take it, you need it more than me.  I already drank my share, I don't need the rest.  So, it's fine.", Kalin.  "Hm.  Alright, but only because you said so.", Grim.

He then took it from me and kept it close to him as he finishes his previous one.

"All students, assemble!  Break time is now over.  Form ranks, and no lollygagging!", Kalim.

"Jamil, I...  I can't take another day like this.", Scarabia Student A.  "I'm done following the housewarden, too!", Scarabia Student B.  "Why are you still obeying him, Jamil?!", Scarabia Student C.