Episode 4-21: Smiling Tacticians!

"Arg...  Retreat for now!", Scarabia Student A.  "You haven't seen the last of us!", Scarabia Student B.

"Go on and scatter, you bunch of minnows!  Aha ha!", Floyd.  "We'll be eagerly awaiting your next visit to our lounge.", Jade.

*Tmp tmp tmp*

They ran out of the Mostro Lounge and soon enough, we couldn't hear them.

"Mya-HAH!  We did it!  You see that?!  That's what you get, you buncha jerks!", Grim.

"I do hate to rain on your parade, but...  I'm afraid we'll have to bill you for repair fees for the tables and chairs damaged in that fight.  Not to mention our own labor rates, since we were dragged into this affair.", Azul.

"WHAT?!  You're chargin' us for that?!", Grim.

"Surely it's a small price to pay for us rescuing you from the inky depths of peril?", Azul.

"First we get dragged into a bunch of Scarabian infighting, now this...  I swear, there ain't a decent guy in this whole school!", Grim.

I try to lean over and whisper to Grim.  

"It's ok, Grim...  Once this is over, Crowley will pay for it...", Kalin.  

"Oh, yeah.  That'll work.", Grim.

"...I'm sorry, come again?  What's this about Scarabian infighting?", Azul.

"So here's the deal...", Kalin.

"Ah, but before that, first, Jade, get Kalin a cold towel.", Azul.  "Certainly, sir.", Jade.

He then went into the back kitchen to fetch it.  I look to Azul and wonder why he did that.  He looked back at me and noticed my confused stare.

"What?  You look like you needed to cool down, and I need you in better condition in order to explain what's going on.", Azul.

"...I see.", Kalin.

*(!) Did he just help me... without anything back? (!)*

No sooner than a couple minutes, Jade came back with a medium cold-press towel and handed it to me.

"Here you are.", Jade.

"Thanks.", Kalin.

I wrapped it around the back of my neck, and it was almost freezing to the touch, but it definitely helped as it started to cool me off.  Azul and the twins waited for me to start as they sat in the booth I was in.  It was then I started to explain everything that has happened the last couple of days.

~~~~~~~~~~

"The housewarden of Scarabia is acting out of control, you say?", Azul.

"Yeah!  Kalim's runnin' all his dormmates through the wringer every day, nonstop.", Grim.

"I wouldn't have expected that from Kalim, of all people.", Azul.  "I never knew the little Sea Otter had it in him.", Floyd.  "He's never given me that impression, either.", Jade.

"Vice Housewarden Jamil's got his hands full tryin' to deal with it.  He's a decent guy, which is pretty rare for this school.  I feel kinda bad for him.  And we can't even reach the headmage in the middle of all this mess!  That Crowley, I swear...", Grim.

"......", Kalin.

"......", Azul.  "Azul, you're in Jamil's class, right?", Jade.  "Yes.  We also share a number of electives.  Our paths are wont to cross often.  Grim might be right when he says that Jamil is a rarity in this school.  He's... demure and poised, you might say.  He hardly ever ventures opinions of his own.", Azul.  "Yeah.  I'm in the Basketball Club with Sea Snake, and he pretty much plays like a goody-goody.  I never pay much attention to the other dorms to start with, so I had no idea he was vice housewarden for Scarabia.", Floyd.  "And now we know he's having trouble dealing with his housewarden's antics.  Hrm...  It sounds like I should come to their aid.", Azul.

"Wha?  Did you hit your head or somethin' when I wasn't lookin'?", Grim.

"Why, I never.  I'll have you know the last incident forced me to reflect on my greed.  I came out of it a changed man.  Moving forward, I've decided to contribute to the school as a whole, in honor of the Sea Witch's spirit of benevolence.  Now that Scarabia is faced with a crisis and my very own classmate is in need of help...  I can hardly ignore them in their time of need.", Azul.  "Oooh?", Floyd.  "Oh-ho.", Jade.  "It's just as well-- I tire of picking at the same turkey dinner alongside the same faces every year.  Why don't we pay Scarabia a visit tomorrow?", Azul.

*(!) Is he really being this nice, or is there something else going on...? (!)*

"Seriously?!  We just broke outta that prison, and you want us to march back in?  Count me out.", Grim.

It was then Floyd approached Grim.

"C'mon, Sealie-o, don't be like that.", Floyd.  "Have some faith in Azul.  I'm sure he'll make this a holiday to remember.", Jade.  "It would be rude to visit empty-handed, of course.  Jade.  Floyd.  Don't forget to wrap up our gifts.", Azul.  "Yes, sir. / Yes, SIR!  Heh heh heh...", Jade and Floyd.

"I could certainly think of worse ways to spend winter break than in a sweltering desert.  I can already tell this is going to be positively delightful.  Heh heh heh...", Azul.

"......", Kalin.

*(!) I clench my fists a little, knowing we'd be going back tomorrow.  But despite the hard times we've had back there, Azul was right about one thing.  They need help to resolve whatever's going on over there. (!)*

Soon after that discussion, Grim and I were able to stay the night in one of their guest rooms.  But before going with Grim, I decided to take the towel off since it was soon just a wet towel and not cold anymore.  After I did so, the same tingling feeling came back and spread across my arms.  I took a quick look under my sleeve, and just like that, the scales that were on my arms just dispersed away, like when Kalim used his unique magic.  Except there was no water, and no influence of magic, just a cold towel around my neck.  So why did it go away now?

The more this happens, the more confusing it gets.