Episode 5-16: The Big Audition!

"All right, let's get this audition started.  Entry number one, you're up.  Start the music!", Rook.

~Ruggie's Audition of Piece of my World~

"Monsieur Dent-de-Lion.  Your fleet footwork and broad smile convey gallantry and boyish charm in equal measure.  Beaute!  Full marks!", Rook.  "You carry yourself well enough, but your dancing and singing both leave much to be desired.  Next!", Vil.

~Cater's Audition of Piece of my World~

"Monsieur Magicam.  Your singing voice sparkled with diamond clarity!  I could immerse myself in it for hours.  Beaute!  Full marks!", Rook.  "You did the entire song and dance without any errors, but your performance is utterly lacking in passion.  Next!", Vil.

~Lilia's Audition of Piece of my World~

"Monsieur Curiosite.  Your boyish looks belie the depth of your voice.  It is truly fascinating to behold.  Beaute!  Full marks!", Rook.  "I can't quite put my finger on it-- for some reason, you show none of the youthful vim one would expect from a student.  Next!", Vil.

~Ortho's Audition of Piece of my World~

"Monsieur Marionette.  How very cutting-edge!  I was riveted by the precision of your robotic dancing and singing.  Beaute!  Full marks!", Rook.  "I've heard of genreless, but this is ridiculous.  Next!", Vil.

~Kalim's Audition of Piece of my World~

"Roi Dore!  Your dancing is like a simoom kicking up the desert sands!  And your singing is so uplifting, I can feel myself floating away.  Beaute!  Full marks!", Rook.  "Hm.  I suppose you're a slight step up from the rest of these stumbling vegetables.", Vil.

~Jamil's Audition of Piece of my World~

"Monsieur Pyramide.  My hat goes off to you.  I can see the smoldering soul that lies beneath your cool exterior!  Beaute!  Full marks!", Rook.  "Your dancing and singing are both the most passable I've seen so far.  Not bad, I suppose.", Vil.

~Epel's Audition of Piece of my World~

"Monsieur Pommette.  How truly charming and sweet!  You've improved greatly in all respects.  Beaute!  Full marks!", Rook.  "Yet again, he messed up before the hook.  He may perform flawlessly in rehearsals, but it means nothing if he still flubs the show.  For that matter, Rook-- you've been giving perfect scores to every single entrant so far.  Are you even trying to be a proper judge?", Vil. 

"Of course!  Yet how am I to rank one above another when they're all so magnifique?  There is beauty to be found in perfection, but imperfection has its own unique allure.  Wouldn't you agree?", Rook.  "This is what I get for making you a judge.  I should've known better...  Well, we've one group left.  Call them in.", Vil.  "Oui.", Rook.

*Click*

"Ace Trappola.  Deuce Spade.  Grim and Kalin.  You may all enter.", Rook.

"Finally, our time to shine!", Grim.

"Yeah!  Let's bag this audition.", Ace.  "We've come this far.  I can't crumble now.  Let's do this!", Deuce.

"Why, if it isn't the unwashed spuds that so foolishly challenged me to a fight.  I do hope you've improved from the embarrassingly awkward show you put on then.", Vil.

"Heh heh!  We've been puttin' in work, all right.  Time to show you the moves we picked up from Scarabia.", Grim.

~Attend the Audition~

"I'm delighted to see you audition.  Merci!", Rook.

"We'll just see if you think we're "embarrassing" and "inelegant" this time!", Ace.

"Keep talking, spudling.  If you want my approval, prove to me your worth.", Vil.  "Et c'est parti!  Show us what you can do!", Rook.

Our practicing for the last week has finally come down to this.  The dancing went smoothly starting off.  Deuce was really giving it his all, trying to keep with the rhythm and his footwork.  Ace was dancing as if he just leveled up than when we first started practicing.  Grim was having fun as usual, but this time he actually implemented what Jamil and Kalim taught us.  Our singing wasn't too bad either. 

"Hm.  You are like little birds who have just learned how to spread their wings.  Yes, you are so naive!  So innocent!  Beaute!  Full marks!", Rook.  "Ugh...  Must you praise every performance so uncritically?", Vil.

"Full marks?!  We must be towards the top, then!", Deuce.  "I doubt it's that easy.  We can't let our guards down in the second half.", Ace.

And Ace was right about that in a way, since I have trouble singing in the second half of the song.  The second half was a bit more fast pace, so Deuce struggled a little to keep up his steps but held his ground through it.  Even when it looked like Ace was having a blast, he actually was breaking a sweat.  Grim has more of the dancing down than his singing.  But despite our faults, we as a group tried our best to knock it out in the last segment of the song.

"How'd you like that?!  We were perfect!", Grim.

"You're done?  Then hurry and get out.", Vil.

"What, you're not gonna grade us?", Ace.  "Please excuse us!", Deuce.

We all then left the ballroom.  And as we did, I kept my fingers crossed hoping for the best.

"That was a very... frenetic dance.  You were right-- they are still quite unpolished.  And yet...", Rook.