Episode 5-4: An Enticing Prize!

A few days later...

~Cafeteria~

"Myah, I'm starvin'!  It feels like we gotta wait YEARS for lunchtime to roll around on days with morning P.E.", Grim.

"What's P.E. got to go with anything?  You're always hungry.  ...Hm?", Ace.  "Huh.  There's a crowd gathering near that wall.  Let's see.", Deuce.

Few of the students left, giving us room to look at the flyer on the notice board.

"Vocal & Dance Championship..."  "...Now accepting auditions"?  Oh, that's the music showcase event at the culture fair.", Deuce.  "I see it on TV every year.  Never knew the competitors on there had to audition, though.  "Dancers!  Singers!  Come on, come all!  This is your shot at the big time!  "Outshine the rest and be a star!  "If the team representing your school makes it to the final round...  "Each member will receive a share of the fifty-thousand madol prize.", Ace.

"Fifty-Thousand Madols!?", all.

"That's right!  Isn't it just a fabulous prize!?", Crowley.

"GAH!  You scared me!", all.

We were all so jump scared that we almost bumped into some nearby students.

"I know it's a running gag at this point, but could you PLEASE stop popping up out of nowhere, headmage!?", Ace.

"Oh, I beg your pardon.  I never meant to frighten you.  There's a reason this Vocal and Dance Championship has such a tantalizing pot up for grabs.  There are a number of businesses sponsoring it, you see.  VDC is nothing like the Pop Music Club contests you're used to.  The finalists get swamped with offers from all manner of entertainment agencies and labels.  It's entirely possible to rocket from obscurity to the ranks of the top artists in the land.  This isn't merely a matter of school pride-- it's a high-stakes music battle with the entrants' future success or failure riding on the outcome.  And if we want to attract more elites, we need a sufficiently enticing prize.", Crowley.

"Ah, I get you.  If the sponsors can net a star that lets them basically print money...  Fifty-thousand madol is small price to pay.", Ace.

"With fifty grand, I could load up on fancy three-madol canned tuna!", Grim.

"Hold on.  It says that the prize is split amongst the team.  So if there was a four-member group, each member would get... uhhh... fifty divided by four... Ten... Thirteen...", Deuce.  "It'd be 12,500 madols.  Which would net you over four thousand cans of premium tuna.", Ace.

"Daaang!  Four thousand!  Ooh, ooh!  Kalin, I want in on this competition!", Grim.  "You'll have to make through auditions first.", Kalin.

*(!) And I highly doubt he could eat ALL that tuna in a short amount of time before it expires.  I know he can eat, but there has to be a limit to his appetite. (!)*

"Some schools select representatives from their Choral and Pop Music Clubs...  But here at Night Raven College, we scout talent from the entire student body via audition.", Crowley.

"So you gotta duke it out and claw your way to the top!", Deuce.

"Of course, the most serious students have been preparing for this since last year...  But as I see it, everyone always has the right to dream of stardom.  Well?  What do you think?  Aren't I so very kind?  Anyone has the right to audition, as long as they are currently enrolled here.  I, for one, simply cannot wait to see who will represent us this year!", Crowley.

*(!) Since Grim is excited to try the audition, I guess it could be something to get my mind off things. (!)*