Episode 3-6: A Contractual Setback!

Back at Ramshackle Dorm....

"I think it's safe to say that everybody with an anemone stuck on their head...  ...gambled on Azul's contract and lost.  The terms of said contract were apparently to place in the top 50.  But with the sheer number of students signin' on most of them never stood a chance of getting in at all.  That was Azul's game from the start.", Jack.

"This is definitely a huge mess to get into...", Kalin.

Jack and I met back at my dorm to think over what to do next.  We sat in the lounge while having drinks.

"I mean, c'mon!  If you're gettin' good grades off someone else's work, what does that even prove?  You're throwin' away a perfectly good opportunity to show others what you're capable of.  Frankly, you're cheating yourself.", Jack.

*(!) It sounds like he really does takes his school ethic seriously.  Must really bum him out that most of the student body rather cheat through exams... (!)*

"If the rest of the student body here were as principled and tedious...  ...I mean, as "serious" as you, it would spare me such grief!", Crowley.

"WHOA!  Headmage?!  You startled me!", Jack.

The Headmage just appeared sitting next to me on the couch while Jack was sitting on my other side startled.  I didn't yelp like he did but I definitely was startled that it made me jump the minute he appeared.  That's the one thing I'm definitely not ever getting used to.

"*SIgh*  So transpires another year of me being unable to clamp down on Ashengrotto's little "side business.", Crowley.  But as usual he doesn't necessarily listen to those around him unless it pertains to him and the school.

"What do you mean, "side business"?", Kalin.

"Azul Ashengrotto:  Sophomore.  Housewarden of Octavinelle Dorm.  Much like Rosehearts, he is a highly capable student already running a dorm as a sophomore, but...  He's a bit-- no, I daresay QUITE a bit troublesome.", Crowley.

"Are you talking about him swindling people?  Seems to me like one word from the headmage could put a stop to this whole thing.", Jack.

"Ah, but it is precisely BECAUSE I am in a teaching position that I cannot prohibit his actions.", Crowley.

"Why not?", Jack.

"Here's the thing about those study guides that Ashengrotto handed out to the students.  There was no illegitimate activity involved in their production.  Nobody snuck looks at test questions or answers beforehand.  It was crafted exhaustively by hand, after researching the past century's worth of Night Raven College exam questions and their patterns.  In other words, it's an entirely legitimate study guide.", Crowley.

"A century's worth of test questions?!  That's actually amazing!", Kalin.

*(!) I know he used it in a way to swindle a bunch of students, but still.  I can't help but be amazed by his efforts. (!)*

"Huh.  We'll, I'll be.  If he did all that by hand, the guy's got chops.  Hm?  Wait...  So the problem is that there IS no problem with it?", Jack.

"You strike right to the heart of the matter, Howl.  As a teacher, I can hardly prohibit a student from crafting an exam study guide via honest work.  Nor can I prohibit a student from "kindly" sharing their notes with friends.", Crowley.

"If you did, you'd basically be tellin' students, "no studying" AND "no helping your buds."  Grr...  Talk about a seriously briny pickle.", Jack.

"That it most certainly is.", Crowley.