Episode 4-25: Staying Discreet!

Meanwhile, Jade got Kalim out of bed as Azul and the others distracted Jamil...

"I'm sorry about this, Kalim.  I wasn't expecting you to already be in bed for the night.  This can wait until tomorrow, honest.  I know it's selfish of me to ask to see the treasury again...", Jade.

"No worries!  It's totally fine!  What did you want to see?", Kalim.

"I was curious about the tapestries and carpets further in the back.  You don't see many textile handicrafts under the sea, you know.  I've always been fascinated by Scalding Sands culture.  After all, what could be further from the bottom of the ocean than a world of arid sands?", Jade.

"Ooh!  Speaking of carpets, I've got one with colors that would be a perfect fit for your dorm.  It would be a shame to let it keep gathering dust in the storeroom.  Why don't you take it back with you?", Kalim.

"Are you sure?", Jade.

"Absolutely!  And here we are.", Kalim.

Kalim opens up the doors to the treasure room.

"Ahhh...  It's even more amazing when I study it up close.  Kalim, what's this lovely peacock green fabric?", Jade.

"Oh, that's woven out of silk.  Long, long ago, back when they first reformed the law stating that royalty could only marry royalty...  There was a princess who wedded a common man raised in the slums.  She often wore that color.  It's a popular color among men and women alike in the Scalding Sands.", Kalim.

"Incredible.  If the mer-princess fascinated with the human realm were to see these treasures, she'd have been desperate to have them all.  It can't be easy keeping track of so many luxuries.", Jade.

"I leave all the organizational stuff to Jamil.  He airs them out on occasion.", Kalim.

"Jamil is quite the competent right-hand man, isn't he?  Azul was saying the same thing.", Jade.

"Heh heh!  Isn't he, though?  The guy's pure amazing.  it was Jamil who taught me magic and tutored me.  He was a way better tutor than any of the ones my family hired.  Oh, and he's a great dancer, too!  Not that he does much of that around others...", Kalim.

"If he's that concerned, why doesn't he speak up to you about what you've been doing?", Jade.

"Huh?", Kalim.

"Keeping students from going home on a long holiday and forcing them into harsh training every day...  I strain to imagine you doing such a thing.  So why?", Jade.

"Oh...  Well...  It's because we really needed extra training, I guess...?", Kalim.

"You "guess"?  It was your decision, wasn't it?", Jade.

"Yes.  It definitely was, but...  I've been... spacing out a lot lately.", Kalim.

"Why is that?", Jade.

"Jamil says it's probably fatigue from me becoming housewarden as a sophomore.", Kalim.

"Come again?", Jade.

"I've always had this habit of nodding off when I start working my brain too hard.  My tutors and Jamil were always on my case about it.", Kalim.

"What are you finding difficult at present?", Jade.

"Our loss in the interdorms, our bad grades in the exams...  My responsibility...  Remedial measures...  When I dwell on those, I end up just spacing out.  Ha ha, I'm pretty lousy housewarden, huh?", Kalim.

"Wasn't it your decision to keep the students over the holidays for special training?", Jade.

"I, um...  I think it was.", Kalim.

"Another noncommittal answer.  Hmm...", Jade.

*(!) So be it.  It's got a fifty-fifty chance at best of paying off, but I think I'll gamble on my trump card. (!)*

"Ah...  Ow!", Jade.

"Hm?  What's wrong?", Kalim.

"Sorry, I think I got a speck of something in my eye.  Could you take a look at it for me?", Jade.

"Are you all right?  Here, let me see.  Which eye?", Kalim.

As Kalim gets a closer look at his eyes.

"My left eye.  That's it, look in my left eye...  Don't be afraid.  I want to help you.  Shock the Heart.", Jade.

"...Huh?", Kalim.

"I'm going to ask you some questions, and you will answer them honestly.  Do you know...", Jade.