Episode 5-12: Compliments Gushing!

"I just about had a heart attack!", Ace.  "Who jumps out from behind people like that?!", Deuce.

*(!) I don't know what scared me more...  The sudden appearance he made, or the claws Grim dug into me as he reached my shoulder. (!)*

"Hah hah hah!  Did I startle you?  Pardonne-moi.  I'm simply too accustomed to concealing my presence as I make my approach.  I am Rook Hunt, le Chasseur d'Amour.  My life's work is to seek out beauty and support it.  Pleased to make your acquaintance.", Rook.

"Tch.  Speak of the weirdo and he shall appear.", Leona.

"Good day, Roi des Lions.  But what is this?  Monsieur Dent-de-lion does not appear to be accompanying you for your lunch break.", Rook.

"He ain't with me twenty-four seven.  Now get lost, and take these herbivores with you.", Leona.

"Who's Monsieur, uhhh... Dandelion?", Deuce.

"Heh heh heh.  That would of course refer to the Roi des Lions' confidante, Ruggie.", Rook.

"Why do you call him that?  'Cause he's got a poofy head of yellow hair?", Grim.

"Non, non.  It's for another reason.  It happened last spring...  Just as the first beautiful signs of the season began blooming around campus.", Rook.

~Flashback~

Sports Field

"Great, there's plenty of 'em here.  Now to pick 'em before they turn into seedheads.", Ruggie.

"Bonjour, Monsieur!", Rook.

"Whoa!  What do you want, buddy?!", Ruggie.

"I beg your pardon for the interruption.  I am Rook Hunt, of Pomefiore.  You were doing something fascinating, and I just had to drop by.", Rook.

"I'm literally just picking dandelions, but okay.", Ruggie.

"To what end are you gathering so many?", Rook.

"Isn't it obvious?  I'm gonna eat 'em.", Ruggie.

"What?!", Rook.

"You can make them into salads, saute them, use them for tea...  And more to the point, you can find 'em anywhere and pick 'em for free!  They're perfect for a broke joke like me.  Not that you have any idea what it's like to be penniless.  My food budget's tight this month, so I've gotta subsist on something.  On that note, no time for chitchat.  Free to move on and get out of my hair now.", Ruggie.

~Flashback End~

"And there you have it.  I was struck by his willingness to sustain himself on roadside weeds, and I've respected him more ever since.  Thus, I call him Monsieur Dent-de-Lion.", Rook.

"Dude, Ruggie east DANDELIONS?!  How is that respectable?!", Ace.

"He really will eat anything as long as it's not rotten, huh?  He better not have fed me those things....", Leona.

"Non, non.  They're not poisonous.  And one must never be a picky eater, Roi des Lions.", Rook.

"Okay, but do they taste?  I gotta try me some later.", Grim.

"How many time do we have to tell you not to eat off the ground?", Deuce.  "No matter how many times I tell him, he doesn't listen...", Kalin.

"Oh crap.  You almost distracted us from what we came to talk about.  Can we get back to the audition now?", Ace.  "Oh, right!  Hunt, we'd like to apply for the VDC.", Deuce.

"Ah!  Forgive me-- I have a troublesome penchant for derailing conversations.  I believe the two of you belong to Heartslabyul?  Ace Trappola, #25 in Class 1-A, human, 172 centimeters tall...  Deuce Spade, #24 in Class 1-A, human, 173 centimeters tall...  And here we have Ramshackle Dorm members Kalin, human, 168 centimeters tall, and Grim, monster, 70 centimeters tall.", Rook.

"H-how do you know our class and student numbers?!", Deuce.  "For that matter, how do you know our exact heights down to the flippin' centimeter?!", Ace.

"Heh heh heh.  As a hunter, I make it a point to memorize the species and height of every student on campus.  It wouldn't do to be underprepared, would it?", Rook.

"Underprepared for WHAT?", Kalin.

*(!) Do I even want to know?  This school REALLY does has it's variety of students... (!)*

"Since you have informed me of your intent, you will not need to fill out any paperwork.  The audition will be held in the Pomefiore ballroom after school, three days hence.  Do be sure to save the date.", Rook.

"Yes, sir.", All.

"Hey, are you guys done crowdin' around my seat yet?  Get outta my hair already.", Leona.

"Say, Leona!  How would you like to put in an appearance at the VDC auditions?  You have ample athletic ability, and your physique would add extra flair to your dancing.  Not to mention your wonderful, resounding voice.  I've never seen a lion sing in the Sunset Savanna, but I've no doubt it would be an incredible sight to behold.", Rook.

"I wouldn't be caught dead in that kids' show.  Besides, isn't that nag Vil gonna be there?  You can count me a hundred and ten percent out.", Leona.

"But picture this: Vil with his cosmopolitan appeal and Leona with his ragged charisma...  If you two danced and sing together, it would be a feast for the senses!  Twould be a battle of flavors most disparate!  Ahhh, how very tres bien!", Rook.

"Tch.  You don't care one iota what other people have to say, do you?", Leona.