Episode 3-24: Rendezvous at Midnight!

After school...

Even through the last classes of the day, it was hard to concentrate on the lessons with all that is going on.  I even almost got called out by Professor Crewel a couple of times.  No matter what plan I try to come up with, thinking on it doesn't really pan out compared to what we've tried before.

As we were about to go back to our dorms, I decided a different route.

"Hm?  Where you going, Kalin?", Jack.  "Oh, I'm gonna go take a walk for some fresh air.", Kalin.  "I see.  Want me to come along?", Jack.  "No, that's ok.  I need to sort some thoughts out... alone.  But I'll meet you guys back at the dorm tonight.", Kalin.  "Well, alright then.  See you.", Jack.  Grim just went with Jack since both him and Deuce had club activities today and so did Ace.

~Ramshackle Dorm~

I made a long walk, thinking to my pressing thoughts.  But it was a while before I realized it was dark already.  And that wasn't the only thing I noticed when I stopped...

"Oh...  I walked back to Ramshackle Dorm out of pure habit.", Kalin.

*(!) One more day until we lose our dorm privileges for good...

If I lose that, Grim and I will be homeless.  And I'm pretty sure we won't be able to stay at Savanaclaw or any other dorm for that matter.

Which means...  I may not be able to stay at Night Raven College... (!)*

That last thought really got me down.  It's true I haven't been here for very long, but yet, I feel like I've become attached enough with everyone I've met so far.

Green lights started to appear.  As if called upon to distract me from my inner thoughts.

"What are all these yellow-green lights?", Kalin

*(!) But I have to admit it's a pretty sight.(!)*

I try to reach one of the lights floating in front of me with my hand.  But then a footstep was heard from behind me as I was distracted by the glowing lights.  When I turned to see who's there...

"Hm?  You're...", I recognized the man and his voice.

"You're Tsunotaro!", Kalin.

"Tsunotaro?  Who is that?  Are you... referring to me?", the man confused to the name I called him.

"You said I could call you a name of my choosing.", Kalin.

*(!) Although, you could blame Grim if you don't like it. (!)*

Thinking on it, maybe Tsunotaro was a little embarrassing of a name to call him by.

"Heh...  Hmhm.  Ha ha ha!  Me, being called "Tsunotaro"!  You really are fearless, it seems.  No matter.  It was I who told you to use a name of your choosing.  I'll indulge this liberty and permit you to refer to me by your... curious nickname.", Tsunotaro.

*(!) Oh, I guess he's ok with it.  Maybe... he even likes it. (!)*

"By the by, I've noticed that this dorm has seemed rowdier as of late.  Are you taking in more students?", Tsunotaro.

"Actually...", Kalin.

I explained to him the long story of how this all happened and leading up to now.

"What?  You made a deal with Ashengrotto?  Well...  I suppose that does explain it.  Then once the sun sets tomorrow, I suppose this place will belong to him and become a hotspot for noisy students.", Tsunotaro.

When he summed it all up, it brought back up those thoughts from before.

"Heh.  You look like you take issue with my statement.  You don't like me speaking as though your loss is a given?", Tsunotaro notices my face expression.

"It's not that per say.  It's just...  I don't know what I should do exactly.", Kalin.

*(!) Before Grim and I have to leave this place... (!)*

".......  Incidentally, the walls of this dorm have some rather impressive gargoyle sculptures.", Tsunotaro.

"Gargoyles?", Kalin.

"At first glance, these gargoyles appear to be imposing, dangerous monsters...  But in reality, they are a kind of drainage spout built to keep rainwater from sullying the walls.  They look frightful, and yet they are beings devoted to the preservation of their home.", Tsunotaro.

"There's a stark contrast between what they do and how they look, huh?", Kalin.

*(!) I didn't get what he was going on about, but I indulged in the topic. (!)*

"Sometimes, what you see with your eyes is the complete opposite of the truth.  And... I, too, would prefer to avoid this place becoming rowdy every night.  Continue fighting to protect your dorm.", Tsunotaro.

After he said that, he again disappeared leaving a trail of the glowing lights before dispersing.

"So what I see... isn't always the truth?", Kalin.

*(!) Did he... try giving me a clue? (!)*