Chapter 20: Harmful Presences

neutral point of view

Silence is present in the house of the secondary family. The main protagonists in it are not comfortable with each other. In the dining room, Boss Gun and Vegas face off against the main Porsche family's bodyguards, Pete and Big. Around them are the servants, withdrawn and always ready to serve their superiors and their guests.

Boss Gun tries to play it cool, he knows he has to behave himself. He must take on the appearance of a father loving his children, caring and gentle. He must be respectful of those he meets every day. He is intelligent, he knows that everything that will happen in his house will be reported to his big brother Korn. And if this one discovers that he mistreats his Vegas and Macau children, then there... he's going to have a bad time. That's why he decided to treat Porsche, Pete and Big like they were kings.

- Above all, do not hesitate to make yourself at home. I think Vegas must have told you...

He puts a hand on Vegas's shoulders to give her a gentle squeeze. The young man freezes as he is carrying his spoon filled with shrimp and coconut milk soup. He glances at his father, uncomfortably, before forcing a smile.

- Y...Yes, dad, I told them. They can come and go in the house as they wish... anyway, you will have no choice if you have to report regularly to Uncle Korn...

Porsche helps herself to some water and takes a sip.

- Yes. It's me who will mainly take care of it but I could always delegate some tasks to Pete and Big to assist you in your work, Sir... setting up a new business is not easy but if we put our minds to it to several, that we get along well, then there will be no problem during our stay here... right Mr. Gun?

Porsche does nothing by chance. I think you, dear readers, have come to understand this. At this precise moment, Porsche sends a message filled with innuendo to Uncle Gun, who received it well, given the distraught and awkward face he makes.A nervous smile takes hold of him.

- Of course.

Porsche responds politely to the smile that gave him before feeling a small hand land on his thigh. This is Pete's. He pats her on the leg to make her understand that he's going too far and that he'd better be more discreet if he wants their cover-up mission to continue as it should in the next few days. The meal continues in almost total silence, which is sometimes interrupted by sessions of conversation without interest.

Big won't speak, too busy watching what's going on around the table. He saw that Macao, Vegas' brother was missing, but he didn't dare ask where he was. But if Mr. Korn's hypothesis holds up, then it's not hard to assume that Macao is in his room, resting and recuperating from his injuries inflicted by his father a few weeks earlier and whose the gravity is less for his life.

Uncle Gun is not stupid enough to expose in front of the eyes of the bodyguards of the main house, one of the last object of his anger in full healing.

The end of the meal takes place in extreme cold. Uncle Gun excuses a lack of deep sleep to withdraw from the table. He gets up from his chair and does a gesture he's never done before: affectionately kissing Vegas on the head to wish him a good night.

- Good night son. Sweet dreams!

It's the world upside down will you tell me...? Exactly! Vegas thinks the same. He looks up at his confused father, wondering what angel possesses him to act like this...He glances at Porsche, Pete and Big, who haven't missed this action. Understanding that his father is purely playing comedy but that if he does not play his part he risks becoming angry, Vegas has no choice but to comply with this completely pathetic reversal of the situation.