Chapter Four: Bath House of Bonding

"Avoid blind compliance. Ask questions."

- Mimi Ikonn

4.

Bath House of Bonding

AS THE TWO BOYS WALKED DOWN THE HILL Percy kept glancing behind Ace, still trying to figure out Nico. He almost tripped over his own feet a few times. Ace figured for Percy's safety he should probably talk to the new boy.

"Do you remember anything about Nico?" Ace asked

Percy's hand went to the back of his head and started scratching.

"I'm not even sure I really know him at all. But he's the first person I've met that triggered something in my head. Is he part of the legion?"

Ace shook his head, "Nope. Works directly under his father as an ambassador, he brings us important information. First time he showed up was when he brought Hazel to camp. Honestly I don't think he'd really come at all if she wasn't here."

"I just can't shake the feeling that I should know him." Percy said with a sigh of defeat, shoving his hands into his pockets.

"It sucks about your memory." Ace said, running his hand through his hair. "Do you remember anything specific?"

Percy licked his lips, his gaze directly forward, but a million miles away.

"Just one person...Her name is Annabeth." He looked over at the older boy with hope. "Is she here?"

Ace shook his head as his heart felt heavy with guilt. "I'm afraid she's not here. It's a pretty name, and not a common one. When things calm down we'll look for her. What else about her do you know?"

His shoulders slumped down at Ace's words. "I'm scared that if I talk too much about her she'll disappear from my head."

And to think he assumed he couldn't feel worse for the guy.

"Keep it to yourself then. Hold onto what you can."

They reached the bottom of the hill and he pointed to the direction of the baths as he walked so Percy would know where they were going. He saw Percy's eyes fall on his tattoo again.

"You have more marks than anyone I've seen."

"In my tenth year now." Ace agreed, the echo of two months replaying in his head.

"So what comes next?"

"College in New Rome." He smiled at the thought. "Three months and I'll have my butt in a tiny dorm room or sitting in a classroom for the start of winter semester and I'll be more excited than I've been for anything here in a long time."