Chapter Eleven: Sewer Food

"There are two kinds of guilt: The kind that drowns you until you are useless and the kind that fires your soul to purpose." 

- Sabaa Tahir

11. 

SEWER FOOD

NOT ONLY WERE THEY ON THE GROUND, they were underground. Did anyone think to ask the experienced one for advice on the subject? No. However, Arya couldn't complain about how the others were choosing to do things. It was the only plan she could think of as well.

That didn't mean it was a good idea.

They all made their way across the streets to the fountain, Arya cleared out all the water so her friends and her wouldn't have to walk into the freezing cold water. Jason and Leo lifted off the lid to the drain. Jason offered to go first, and climbed down the ladder, followed by Piper, then Leo. Arya took one more look around before summoning a dagger into her hand, placing it in her mouth, then crawling down the ladder.

As she climbed down the ladder she could physically feel the temperature changing, the cold sharp air was growing warmer and more comforting. It was a nice change considering how much she hated the winter months.

Arya was expecting to be met with at least waist high sewage. She was shocked to find her feet firmly planted on the floor with only a little stream of water, barely larger than her hand, flowing through the pipes.

"Are all sewers this nice?" Piper asked. Even in the darkness she was still glowing with Aphrodite's blessing. The good news was that she seemed to forget about it, or grow used to it.

"No," Leo said. "Trust me."

Arya looked over at the boy with her head at an angle, eyebrows knitted together. "How do you know—"

"Listen, I ran away six times. I've slept in some weird places, okay? Now, which way do we go?"

He spoke with a speed saying that he didn't want to talk about it. So Arya wasn't going to push it. She didn't know why that surprised her. His mother had died when he was little, and more demigods than not ended up on the run if that's the case. But Leo seemed to be so happy all the time.