Chapter Eighty-Eight: [Isiah III]

Isiah seemed a little worried, biting at his lip and constantly checking his phone. He shook his head to himself, leaning back against a chair and watched his leg bounce.
    Damian sat with Rebecca and his kids, looking over at Isiah, watching as he looked at his phone again, grabbing it and checked it. He sucked his tooth, glancing around. He got up and walked over.
    "Y'alright son?" Damian asked.
    Isiah looked up, sitting up straight and put his phone away. "Sí, Just, chillin'." He nodded. Damian looked at him, patting his shoulder with a short nod. He inhaled deeply, looking down at his hands. "You?"
    "Scared but, mm."
    Isiah looked at him. "Hate to say it. But this is not rare for me. . ." He lowered his voice, frowning a bit.
    "Mm, neither, except it's not me waiting in a hallway. . ." Damian said.
    "I mean, growing up in the area I did and then. . . getting involved with. . . the, wrong crowd, you know. . ." He looked down at his hands again.
    "Ah. . . sorry, kid. . ."
    Isiah shrugged a bit. "Money's tight; you do what you do to survive." He tapped his fingers together. Damian looked at him, sighing soft. "Even if it means selling your life away to someone who can easily snatch it within seconds because you fucked up once." He looked at him, face neutral.
    Damian stared at him, inhaling. "Sorry kid. . . really didn't deserve that path you were thrown on. . ."
    Isiah shrugged, blinking softly. "No one else was gonna support me, hombre. Did what I had to do to just get myself food everyday." He frowned a bit. "Orlando, the guy that fucked with the poor kid, main dealer. He was fucking with me for. . ." He looked at his fingers, counting. "Five anõs." He kept frowning.
    "Fucking rat. . ." He whispered in a tone, hand resting on Isiah's shoulder.
    "I'm still barely hanging on here; Three jobs. One, shouldn't even be a job but it is."
    "Well, with the main threat, Orlando, gone, you have two jobs, now."
    Isiah shook his head. "Oh no no, man. He wasn't the boss. . ." He stared up at him. I can ignore it, but I can't run from it.
    "Martin. . .? Was he the 'boss'? He's dead now too, and three other random men,"
    Isiah swallowed. "Not him either. Only way to get outta this is to stop sellin'." He glanced around, going quiet. "And I have, since. . . I uhhh, got, caught the last time I ever did. . ." He rubbed the back of his neck.
    Damian glanced at the others, then back to Isiah. "I bet with Orlando gone you'll get some peace. . ."
    "Maybe. . ." He whispered, running a hand through his hair. "Just worried, you know, I got a target on my back now." He rubbed his lips.
    "Target..?"
    Isiah inhaled deeply. "Boss finds out that perra is dead, they'll automatically assume it was me." He sighed, rubbing his face. "It'll be fine, right?"
    "It will. . . it will. I, or the group, are not letting anything with those rats affect you."
    Isiah looked at him, blinking softly. "Promesa?"
    "Of course. . . promesa." Damian repeated, holding out his hand. "I know some guys who could keep ya safe,"
    Isiah blinked. "Yeah?" he then took it.
    Damian nodded, shaking his hand. "One of them, actually is, in that room. . ." The door opened, Maverick walked out.
    "He's, sleeping, finally. . ." He rolled a shoulder with a pained face, mumbling about stupid shoulder pain but didn't complain. Isiah looked over, inhaling.
    Rebecca turned, smiling softly. "Oh, good. . ."
    Maverick nodded. "I don't know if he'll wake up scared, but he's sleeping for now. . ."
    She nodded a bit. "As long as he has someone in the room with him when he wakes up, he'll be okay. . ."
    Maverick glanced at Damian and Isiah, nodding to them as well. "I'll be going right back in there, just wanted to report that he's sleeping." He looked back at Rebecca, the other girls, and Spark.
    She smiled again. "Thank you, honey. . ."
    "Anytime Ms. Tillie."
    Isiah slowly looked at Damian. "Its him, huh?" Damian looked at him, then the others, giving a short nod to him.
    "Yes," he spoke.
    Isiah looked back at Maverick, nodding. "Cool." He ran a hand through his hair again, nodding to himself now before glancing over to Maria. She was settled near Cassidy, focused on her brother, picking at her nails. She turned her gaze to Isiah.
    He nodded to her a bit, mouthing. "You okay?"
    She nodded. "Yes." She mouthed back. "Just scared, you?"
    He gave her a thumbs up, smiling softly. She did the same, smiling soft then made her way over, standing at Damian's side. Isiah looked up at her, reaching to lock pinkies with her as she held pinkies with him. Damian glanced down, stepping aside and switched places with Maria.
    Isiah leaned back against the chair, crossing his arm with the other but kept his hold onto her pinky and relaxed, closing his eyes. She looked around, stretching the pinky hold to a full hand hold. He subconsciously held it back, stroking her hand with his thumb. He hummed a soft tune, looking around the waiting room.
    Calypso had fallen asleep on Rebecca's lap. Sunny had followed suit, curled up on Cassidy's legs as she held her, Sadie now curled up tucked into her free arm, holding them both as they slept. Macy sat with Spark, hand on her stomach. They rubbed her hand, tapping their feet together quietly, Bandit laid underneath Spark, looking around. Her head rose, ears tilted forward as she made her way to the room door.
    Macy watched her, blinking softly and looked to Spark. Rebecca braided Macy's hair quietly, humming a bit. Spark looked at her ad Bandit sat at the door.
    She motioned to Bandit. "I think she wants in with him. . ."
    "I guess so. . ." They stood, walking over and opened the door. Bandit made her way in, they closed the door, walking back to Macy. She opened her arms for them as they settled down in her arms, arms wrapped around her stomach. Isiah looked up at Maria, eyes searching her face.
    I think I'm falling in love again.
    Isiah looked over at them, blinking softly. Spark, Macy, and Spark's parents were now all quietly laughing about something. He inhaled and looked down at his phone, mid texting his parents.
    Maria had noticed as well, looking over to the girls, who were fast asleep cuddling. "Wonder what's going on over there." She whispered.
    Isiah turned off his phone almost immediately, clearing his throat and sat up a bit. "Oh, nah I don't know, something good though." He made a smile, putting his phone into his pockets as she looked down at him.
    He looked up at her, leaning back and crossed his arms. "You alright?"
    "I'm alright, you?" She rested a hand on her hip, eyes studying him.
    He nodded. "I'm good, hungry, but good."
    "Could go get something."
    He looked around. "I might get everyone something, even the kid. You know when he's allowed to have solid food?" He looked back up at her.
    "Kid? As in. . .?" Maria questioned, Isiah nodded.
    "Oliver, I think his name was."
    "Ollie, yes, Mr. Sugarbaby." She chuckled lightly. "And I'm not sure."
    "Let me ask." He stood, rubbing his hands on his pants and made his way towards the desk. She watched him, eyes studying him once more as she smirked. He spoke with the lady, leaning on the counter.
    Maria looked at the others, then back at Isiah. She watched as he nodded to the lady, stepping back and walked over.
    "He could eat right now but it's gonna be simple stuff. I don't wanna wake him though."
    "Hm."
    "I know a soup place, wanna come with me to get everyone food?"
    "Ooo, yes!" She smiled that crinkled nose, closed eyes smile.
    Isiah smiled, putting his jacket on before turning to Damian and Rebecca. "We're going to go get food."
    Damian looked over. "Keep 'er safe, y'hear?" He rose his brows.
    Isiah nodded. "Sí, señor." He then walked towards the door. Maria waved, then followed him. Isiah went out to his bike, grabbing their helmets and started the bike. She sat behind him, putting the helmet on.
    He put down his visor, revving up the engine, she did the same, holding onto him as he drove off towards a soup shop.
    Isiah pulled into the parking lot, turning off his bike, Maria flipped up her visor and looked at the shop. The shop was simply called "Abuela's Menu." It was a soup shop that made soups and such that tasted homecooked.
    Isiah walked towards the door, smiling and opened it. A lady turned, grinning and waved. He looked at her, waving back. "Hola abuela." Maria followed him, looking at the two with a look of soft surprise.
     Isiah waited for her to walk in as 'Abuela' opened the small door from the back, walking out to them. "Oh mijo, what a surprise!" Maria walked in, albeit ducking a little. Isiah shut the door and stood next to her. Abuela cupped his face, pulling down and kissed both cheeks. "What are you doing here so late, niño? You should be sleeping." She raised an eyebrow.
    He inhaled. "Abuela, we need soup for our friend." Maria listened to them, hands folded together neatly at her stomach.
    She blinked. "Un resfriado?"
    Isiah shook his head. "Surgery."
    Abuela stared. "De inmediato." She stood up straight, nodding and walked off quickly.
    He looked back at Maria. "She struggled with english. She understands it, but struggles speaking it. Like how I was back in high school." He smiled, nudging her. Maria nodded, looking at him with a soft smile.
    He walked to the counter, sitting at the bar and motioned her over, she walked over, sitting at his side. "I, don't think they had tall people in mind. . ." She chuckled lightly.
    "Oh, no." He shook his head. "They're either in the fives or the fours, you know? Abuela is five-two, she's little."
    "Ah, and she's not little have you seen Macy? She's four eleven and looks like an ant beside me."
    He chuckled. "Yes, she's tiny. Adorable too."
    "Oh?" She looked at him with raised eyebrows and a smirk, leaning on her hands.
    "I met her for the first time tonight, Little Spark introduced us."
    "Little Spark bites." She commented. "But also I agree, she's adorable." Isiah chuckled.
    Abuela came back, setting the bowl of soup down. "Chicken noodle." She scooted towards Isiah.
    He smiled at her. "Gracias, Abuela. Oh, this is Maria. Maria, Elena."
    "Helloo," she smiled.
    Elena looked at Maria, observing her features before grinning. "Hola, mija. My, espléndido!" She took her hands.
    He smiled softly. "She called you gorgeous," Maria only smiled more, watching her.
    "Girlfriend?" She looked between them.
    Isiah blinked, shaking his head. "Oh-oh, no uhm."
    "Oh-oh no, no ma'am, I'm, taken. . ."
    "Ahhh, so friends." She nodded.
    He nodded. "Yeah," he ran a hand through his hair.
    She glanced at Isiah, and nodded. "Yes, friends. . ."
    Abuela nodded again. "Of course you're taken. Eres muy hermosa." She grinned.
    He blinked softly, looking at Maria. "Yeah, she is very beautiful. . ." She gave a shy smile, looking at him as well.
    Abuela looked between them, raising an eyebrow before grabbing a newspaper and bapped Isiah's head. "Not available!"
    "GGH — Abuela! Ay, I'm not doing anything wrong!" He couldn't help but laugh, rubbing his head as Maria recoiled, snickering and giggling while Abuela waved her finger at him.
    He shook his head. "I need more soups for my new friends; they're her friend group."
    "How many?" She looked between them again. Isiah looked at Maria, who was quiet, mouthing names and using her fingers.
    "Twelve. . ."
    "Doce?" She went wide eyed, holding her chest. "It'll be a minute." She quickly went off.
    "That's, alright miss."
    Isiah watched her before inhaling softly and looked at Maria. "Ouch, friend zoned." He smirked, teasing.
    She rolled her eyes with a smirk, nudging his head with her hand. "Oh shut up." She chuckled.
    He chuckled light, reaching to hold her knee softly. "Got me whacked."
    She looked at his hand. "Did I?" She looked at him.
    "Uh, yeaaahh?" He gave her a look, smiling. "Newspaper hurts. Not as much as the chancla. . ."
    "Yeesh, chanclas. . .woof."
    "You know how skilled Mamá is with that? Man, right for my head!"
    "Well, all those thunks to the head must've done somethin' to ya, pretty boy."
    He raised an eyebrow to her and laughed. "The hell does that mean?!"
    "Whatever you want it to mean, pretty boy." She looked at him, smiling.
    He examined her face. "Alright then." He reached and moved her hair out of her face. Her expression shifted, smiling.
    His finger tips rested on her cheek softly, a light frown settled on his lips as she continued to look at him, eyes searching his face. Isiah found himself looking at her lips, swallowing. He then looked at her eyes blinking softly. Maria was also looking at his lips, licking her own as she met his eyes, looking surprised she was caught, smiling nervously.
    He sighed quietly, looking down slightly. "I almost feel guilty for feeling this way. . ." He whispered, chuckling quietly.
    "Same. . ."
    "Like. . . you are taken and. . . your friend should be the only thing we're thinking about. Not. . . how much I, really. . . wanna kiss you. . ."
    "Cass did say just don't get me pregnant." She stared at him, leaning on her hands again and moved closer to him. She got bold, quickly she kissed his cheek. "I. . . really wanna kiss you, too. . ."
    He properly held her cheek, swallowing again and moved his head to look at her. She looked at him, eyes soft. She held his hand as he slightly leaned in to kiss her, hovering just barely over her lips.
    Abuela did not waste any time to chuck the newspaper at Isiah. "Malo!!"
    He moved quickly. "GGH!" Maria backed from him, eyes wide in surprise.
    Abuela pointed herd finger at Isiah. "Taken!"
    He groaned, leaning his head back. "Aww I wasn't going to!" She squinted at him, slowly going back to making the soup.
    Maria looked at Isiah, who watched Abuela leave, biting his lip and looked back to her. She stared back, blinking.
    Isiah inhaled. "Fuck it." He held her cheek, leaning in and kissed her lightly. Maria's eyes widen, hands jolting in surprise as he moved back, clearing his throat a bit and moved his hand away.
    She looked at him, taken aback. "I — uh." He licked his lips, putting his head down and messed with his rings. She stared at him still, blinking, a dark line of blush spread over her nose. Isiah looked up at her, eyes soft. He searched her every feature.
    "You, just, kissed me." She said, he didn't say anything in reply. His face spoke more words than he could. Her eyes glance at his lips, licking her own as she swallowed.
    He tucked her hair behind her ear, hand crawling to held her cheek. He gently stroked under her eye and whispered. "Your lips never changed. . ."
    "Yours didn't either. . ." She then closed the distance, pushing her lips onto his, hands finding his neck. Isiah closed his eyes, tilting his head a bit and kissed her back as she leaned closer to him, practically in his lap, inhaling. He reached his free hand to hold her waist, fingers curling to hold her dress. One of Maria's hands fell to hold his, squeezing.
    As if this was horrible timing, Abuela walked over with all the soups, stopping and just looked at them. Isiah moved his hand from Maria's cheek and to her hair, pushing his face closer. She set the soups down, clearing her throat. "Ahora mismo?" She raised an eyebrow. Maria jumped, eyes shooting open as she pulled from him with a startled noise.
    He grinned, inhaling deeply and looked at Elena. "Abuela, por favor, a warning you're coming." Abuela smiled, putting the soups in a compact container so none of them spilled. Maria now had her head down, embarrassed. (Mostly because they were caught)
    The two spoke to each other for a moment before Isiah stood. "Oh, here, Abuelo just bought this for your friend. A gift for the healing." She then went to the back real quick before coming back with a blanket. The blanket was shades of blues, ranging from while to almost black, and an odd but comforting texture, one Maria and Isiah know fondly from their childhood however.
    Isiah watched her, smiling softly and took the container. "Gracias, he'll love it." Maria looked over, smiling soft as well.
    Abuela handed the blanket to Maria. "Let me know how it all tastes, I put a lot of love in there."
    "I will." Isiah smiled, stepping back. Maria nodded, taking the blanket and got up. He made his way to the door, holding it open for Maria. He glanced at the little rose basket Elena had and grabbed two. She followed him, walking out the door. "Thank you pretty boy." She said with a smile.
    He kept his smile, walking out with her. "You're welcome." She looked down at him, still smiling. He raised an eyebrow, heading towards the bike. Maria followed and sat, already putting the helmet on.
    Isiah put the container in the very bike, unzipping the bag and set it in. He then carefully put the roses in and zipped it up. "You can just hold the blanket,"
    "Got it." She held tight to the blanket, and him. He out his helmet one, starting the bike, and made his way out and to the hospital.