Chapter Eighty-Nine: [Damian II]

Damian sat at Rebecca's side, quiet as he listened to the ticking of a distant clock and the muffled beeping of the monitor. Rebecca leaned against him, getting tired but was afraid to sleep incase something happened. He glanced at her, moving his arm and tucked it on her shoulder, pulling her closer.
    She inhaled softly, closing her eyes and got comfortable. "I hate this. . ." She whispered softly. "The waiting game. . ."
    "I do too. . ."
    "I'm just. . . glad he's okay. . ."
    He gave a nod. "Mhm. . ."
    "I don't know what I would do if. . ." She stopped herself, shaking her head.
    He looked at her. "Don't scare yourself now. . . he's alive, he's. . . okay. . . and he's, safe." His words trailed like he was unsure, sighing soft.
    "I know. . ." She replied as he kissed her hair, leaning his head on hers. She sighed softly, curling up into him.
    The doctor came out quietly, looking around at the group then at the pair. She cleared her throat. Damian lifted and turned his head, standing. Rebecca opened her eyes and turned, staring.
    "Are you Oliver's parents?"
    "Yes, we are. Is he okay?" Damian replied, Rebecca stood, feeling her heart start to race.
    "Oh he's wonderful. . . he's still fast asleep." She smiled warmly. "We do want him to stay here for a couple days just so we can keep an eye on his wounds." She then nodded.
    Rebecca exhaled as Damian rubbed her back, holding her chest. "Yes, that's fine. . ."
    "There is, one thing we're worried about." The doctor frowned. "The risk of internal bleeding." Rebecca bit at her lip, listening.
    "Kid was, suffering for a little before the ambulance showed up, how bad's the internal bleeding?"
    She just frowned. "Not good. . ."
    Rebecca inhaled deeply, rubbing her lips. He blinked and looked to Rebecca, then back to the doctor. "What would, we need to do, for the bleeding? Is there anything we can do? To help?"
    "We've scheduled for another surgery."
    "Damn it. . ." She whispered, holding her hips.
    He stared, sighing soft. "When?"
    "Two hours from now."
    Rebecca closed her eyes, shaking her head. That's when Damian began to worry and complain. "Would he even manage? I-I mean he just got out of surgery not even. . . five —" He made a stuttered noise, "five hours ago, and he's going back into one in two hours."
    "It all just depends on how badly the bleeding becomes within those two hours. If it's nothing, no surgery." The doctor explained. Damian stared, huffing and nodded.
    Rebecca nodded. "Thank you. . ." She nodded and walked away. Rebecca watched her walk away, suddenly feeling queezy as she fiddled with her hands. Damian looked at her, holding her hands and then softly hugged her.
    She put her face into him, exhaling shakily. He rubbed her back, his free hand set on her hair. "He'll. . . he'll be okay, the boy's tough. . ." He said. She nodded, holding his shirt.
    "God, I hope so, poor baby. . ." Rebecca said as Damian nodded, swallowing as he blinked away the tears. Her lip quivered, hands gripping his shirt as let tears roll down her face as he hugged her tighter, kissing her hair. She shook her head. "Let's hope he doesn't have to go through another surgery. . ."
    "Let's hope. . ." He agreed. "I really don't want him to go through that again. . ."
    "Me either. He'd be in too much pain. . ."
    "We. . ." He inhaled, not finishing that sentence.
    She looked up at him, furrowing her eyebrows. "We what?"
    He looked at her, blinking. "I don't, want to scare you any more then you already are. . ."
    Her lip quivered. "Just tell me. . ."
    He closed his eyes, sighing. "I'm worried if, he goes into this surgery, there would be a chance. . . we could, lose him. . ." His voice got quieter as he talked.
    She nodded softly. "I know. . ." She whispered, closing her eyes. "I know. . ." He pressed his forehead to hers, hugging her. She hugged him back, sniffing.
    He combed through her hair. "I'm sorry. . ."
    "For?"
    "Putting that thought in your head. . ."
    "Baby, it's been in my head. . ." she admitted, furrowing her eyebrows again. He looked at her, lifting a hand and stroked her cheek as she leaned into his touch, starting to cry quietly. He softly kissed her forehead, pulling her in.
    He rested his head on hers, softly stroking her hair as she shook her head softly, whispering quickly. "I can't lose another,"
    "You're not losing him. . ."
    "I can't. . ."
    "You won't. . ." he replied, she looked up at him, sniffing as she tried to calm down. He looked at her, softly rubbing her face as she leaned into his touch, closing her eyes and took deep breaths. He looked at her, breathing soft.