Childhood friends | Yang Jeongin

You've known Jeongin since you were five

You've known Jeongin since you were five. Back then, you were inseparable, running through the narrow streets of Busan with scraped knees and ice cream-stained shirts. It was no surprise to anyone when you both decided to chase your dreams together, moving from Busan to Seoul with stars in your eyes and determination in your hearts.

Training to become idols has been tough. Long hours of practice, relentless routines, and fierce competition define your new life. Yet, through it all, Jeongin has remained your rock, his smile a constant source of comfort. You've spent countless late nights together, practicing choreography and perfecting harmonies, always supporting each other. You even called his grandmother together when you two debuted, even if it took you a few months longer than him.

But somewhere along the line, your feelings for Jeongin deepened. The friendly banter and playful teasing took on a different meaning for you. You found yourself glancing at him when he wasn't looking, heart fluttering at the smallest of his gestures. Yet, fear of ruining your precious friendship held you back. You convinced yourself that he didn't feel the same, that to him, you were just his best friend.

Then came Jisoo, a fellow trainee with a charming smile and an easy-going personality. He asked you out, and you said yes. Maybe you hoped it would distract you from the unrequited feelings for Jeongin, or maybe you were just tired of waiting. Either way, you decided to give Jisoo a chance.

Jeongin noticed the change immediately. He saw how you smiled at Jisoo, the way you leaned into his touch, and it stirred something unfamiliar within him. A knot tightened in his chest, jealousy mingling with confusion. He couldn't understand why it bothered him so much, but it did. Desperately, he turned to his hyungs for advice.

Chan, always the wise leader, listened patiently as Jeongin poured out his heart. "It sounds like you have feelings for her, Jeongin," he said gently. "Real feelings."

Jeongin's eyes widened. "But she's with Jisoo now. What if I mess things up?"

"You'll never know if you don't tell her," Chan replied. "Sometimes, you have to take risks for the people you care about."

Jeongin knew Chan was right, but he couldn't bring himself to say anything while you were still with Jisoo. He watched from the sidelines, the ache in his heart growing with each passing day.

It wasn't until you and Jisoo broke up that Jeongin felt a glimmer of hope. The breakup had been mutual and amicable, but it left you feeling lost and uncertain. Jeongin was there for you, as always, offering a shoulder to cry on and words of comfort.

One evening, as you walked back from practice, the sky was heavy with rain. You had just stepped outside when the first drops began to fall. The rain quickly turned into a downpour, and you fumbled with your hood, cursing under your breath. Suddenly, you heard someone calling your name. You turned to see Jeongin, drenched and breathless, running toward you.

"Jeongin, what are you doing out here?" you exclaimed.

He looked at you, his eyes filled with an intensity you hadn't seen before. "I need to tell you something," he said, his voice shaking.

Your heart pounded in your chest as you waited. The rain pelted down, soaking you both, but you didn't care. Nothing mattered except the words that were about to come out of his mouth.

"I've been an idiot," Jeongin began, tears mingling with the raindrops on his cheeks. "I didn't realize how I felt until I saw you with Jisoo. I thought I could be happy just being your friend, but I can't. I love you, Y/N. I've loved you for a long time."

Tears filled your own eyes as you processed his words. "Jeongin, I..."

Before you could finish, he took a step closer, his hand gently cupping your cheek. "I know it's a lot to take in. But I had to tell you. I couldn't keep it to myself anymore."

You reached up, placing your hand over his. "I love you too, Jeongin. I always have."

A look of pure relief and joy crossed his face, and before you knew it, he was kissing you, a kiss that tasted like rain and tears and everything you had ever dreamed of. In that moment, standing in the pouring rain, you knew that no matter what challenges lay ahead, you would face them together.

The rain continued to fall around you, a steady backdrop to the emotions surging between you and Jeongin. The kiss deepened, your lips moving together with a mixture of urgency and tenderness. For those few precious moments, it felt like the world had stopped—everything except the two of you, bound by this newfound confession.

When you finally pulled away, both of you were breathless, your faces flushed from the cold and the intensity of the moment. Jeongin's eyes were still locked on yours, filled with a mix of hope and vulnerability.

"I didn't think you felt the same," Jeongin admitted softly, brushing a wet strand of hair from your face. "I've been so afraid of losing you that I didn't dare to say anything."

You shook your head, smiling through your tears. "I thought you only saw me as a friend. I didn't want to risk ruining what we had by telling you."

Jeongin's gaze softened, and he took your hand in his, squeezing it gently. "We don't have to rush into anything. Let's just be together, as we always have been. We'll figure things out as we go."

You nodded, feeling a sense of relief and excitement. The uncertainty that had clouded your thoughts seemed to clear, replaced by a warmth that spread through you.

"Thank you for waiting," you said, your voice barely audible over the rain. "And for being brave enough to tell me how you feel."

Jeongin smiled, his eyes reflecting the streetlights that flickered in the distance. "I'd wait a thousand times over if it meant being with you."

As you both stood there, soaked but content, you knew that this was the beginning of something new and beautiful. The challenges ahead were still there, but you felt more prepared to face them, together.

With a shared laugh, you both began to walk back towards your shared dorm, the rain gradually easing up. The path was muddy and uneven, but it felt like a small adventure compared to what lay ahead. The future was uncertain, but one thing was clear: whatever came next, you would face it side by side, bound by a love that had finally been acknowledged and embraced.