May I Have This Dance?

Courtney smiled against the expensive material of her boyfriend's suit. They were currently slow dancing to some sort of song she didn't really understand, but she didn't mind. Just being in Scott's arms was all she cared about. She finally could say she was officially dating the man. She gave in, after the countless times he kept asking her out. Courtney finally answered yes, and that led to them going to prom together. 

As the song ended Courtney pulled away a little to smile up at him. His orange hair looked strange in the warm lights on the ceiling of the hotel ballroom they were in. But she didn't mind. 

"I'm gonna go get some punch, you want any?" Courtney said, he slowly looked down at her

"Yeah, sure. Thanks babe," he said. His country accent slipping through. Courtney giggled and kissed his cheek before walking across the ballroom to get to the refreshment table. Her cream colored dress was moving with her as she walked, it had a slit up the side. Revealing an elegant amount of thigh, it was strapless, with a lace detail across it. It made her look sexy and classy at the same time. She had stuck to simple curled hair, and a simple make up look that went with her dress. Courtney never really was one for make up. 

Courtney slowly grabbed a clear plastic cup from the stack of them, and began filling it with red punch. She looked up at the doors just in time to see her arch nemesis walk through the front door with his goth girlfriend. Courtney rolled her eyes as she sipped on her punch. 

Duncan wore a black suit jacket, with a white dress shirt on under neath, and a neon green tie to match his mo hawk. Which had been jelled back, and cut neatly. His girlfriend-Gwen- looking darker than ever wearing a midnight blue dress, that went down to her knees. Her short teal and black hair was pulled up, a few strands hanging down around her round face. She had chosen a black lipstick, and a smokey eye look. Courtney snorted, weren't you supposed to wear a long dress to prom? And I don't know... Not look so slutty? 

Courtney had never been able to stand the criminal ever since he moved into the house right next to her's about 5 years ago. Ever since then it was like he made it a personal goal to see how many times he could piss her off in one day. So far the record was 20. 

"Alright, ladies and gentlemen!" their school Principal said "it's time to crown our Prom King and Queen!"

Courtney sighed as she finished her first punch and walked back over to the bowl to fill it more

"Can we get a drum roll?" the Principal said, as he opened the envelope. A few students drummed their fingers on their laps, as they watched him open it. 

"And this year's Prom Queen is...... Courtney Taint!" he said.

Courtney dropped her almost empty cup, it landed on the floor and rolled away. She looked at the crowd of people, as their eyes slowly looked at her. They were all smiling. Courtney couldn't believe her ears, she was Prom Queen? She wasn't even aware she had been entered in the competition!

Courtney slowly walked back across the dance floor, and towards the Principal. He was smiling at her, holding a mic in one hand, and a shiny gold crown in the other. As soon as he laid the piece of plastic on her head, the crowd of students around  her went crazy. She tried to find Scott, and when she did, he looked just as confused as she did. Had he not been told he was going to be Prom King? Clearly if your girlfriend was elected Queen, you were King. That's just how it works. 

"And this year's Prom King is..... Duncan Evans!" the Principal said, Courtney's face paled completely. Her hands clenching to fists, she whipped her eyes back. To see Duncan standing where she had just been standing by the refreshment table. His own teal eyes wide. And Gwen was standing next to him, a very unpleased look on her face. Her pale arms were crossed, and she was glaring at Courtney.