3 Sugars Please

"Um, I said 3 sugars... This tastes like only 2," 

Courtney blinked a little, staring at the woman in front of her in disbelief "I did put 3 sugars in. You always ask for 3, I always put 3 in," Courtney said. The woman sighed and looked down at the iced coffee in her hand that Courtney had just fetched for her. 

"Well it tastes like crap," the woman said. Courtney's eye twitched a little, and she blew out a long breath, remaining composed even though she wanted nothing more than to strangle this woman

"Would you like me to make you another one?" Courtney asked, using her best fake happy voice. The woman slowly smiled a little 

"Actually... I think I'm feeling a hot chocolate now," the woman said, reaching over and throwing away the coffee Courtney gotten for her into the trash.

Courtney felt flames under her skin, her hands turning to fists at her sides. 

"Yes, Ma'am," Courtney bit out, before turning on her heel and walking out of the woman's office. 

Courtney had been interning at this Law Firm for almost a year, and still had nothing to show for it except marvelous coffee-making-skills. Her father had promised her she would be promoted within the next month if she kept up her good behavior. 

Which-for Courtney- meant she didn't completely flip on someone and kick down a door. 

She hadn't done that... Yet. 

But boy, today she was being tested. 

Courtney grumbled to herself as she grabbed her suit jacket and brief case. Pulling her brown hair into a bun she walked down the hallway and stopped when she saw the weather outside.

Of course, it just had to be pouring. The coffee shop was only a few blocks down the road. Not too bad. All she had to do was make it, get the hot cocoa, and come back. Easy enough, right?

Opening the front door, and shivering as the chilly fall air hit her skin, Courtney sighed as she began her journey in her heels to the coffee shop for what seemed like the 10th time that day. 

"I want 3 sugars, this only tastes like 2," Courtney mocked the woman, kicking at the pebbles on the sidewalk. 

Pulling her jacket close, she sighed and decided to take the short cut through the alleyway. It would cut at least 5 minutes off of her trip.

Turning to walk down, she swallowed hard. The Firm wasn't located in the greatest part of town. And it was getting dark.

Pushing her bangs out of her face, Courtney walked down the alley with purpose-nothing was going to ruin this day-

"Hey sweetheart, where you off to?" came a deep voice from behind her. Courtney clenched her jaw and swallowed hard. Ignoring the catcalls from the men approaching her from behind.

"Not interested," Courtney snapped, her back still to them. She could see the end of the alley, if she could just make it-

Just then the footsteps behind her turned to running. Courtney barely had time to react before she felt her briefcase yanked out from her hand. The force of the movement knocking her down to the ground.

"Hey!" Courtney yelled, watching at the man barely glanced back at her before running around the corner and out of site. But she caught his eyes clearly.

Looking down, she groaned when she saw her expensive suit was now covered in mud.  

Courtney growled, and clenched her jaw again. Oh. It. Was. On. 

No one stole from Courtney Taint and got away with it.

"Did you see her face? Oh my fucking God it was perfect!" 

Duncan laughed as he bent forward, putting his hands on his knees to catch his breath as his accomplice closed the door to their apartment behind them. Duncan looked at the black briefcase as though it were a diamond. Gently setting the precious thing on his desk, he sat down and used his pocket knife to wedge it into the lock. 

The thing clicked, and Duncan's teal eyes lit up as he opened it. Revealing a bunch of papers, and there.. Hidden under everything was a tiny black wallet. Filled with cash. Duncan grabbed it and opened it, looking at the ID.

"Courtney Taint huh?" he mumbled. Eyeing her picture "Aren't you a pretty little thing,"

"You have no chance. We just stole from her, you really think she'll go for you now?" Jack-Duncan's best friend and accomplice- said. 

Duncan smirked at him and shrugged "Chicks dig bad boys, man,"

There was a gentle knock at the door, and Duncan and Jack shared a look. 

Jack slowly walked over and went to open it

"Hey, don't just open it!" Duncan yelled. 

That's when the door was kicked open. Nearly missing Jack by an inch. 

Standing there, soaking wet from the rain was Courtney. Mascara running down her tan cheeks

"What the-" Jack said, but didn't have time to finish. 

Courtney reared back and punched the guy straight in the face. Jack barked out a curse and fell back, holding his nose as blood gushed out of it. 

Courtney was fuming as she went inside, her eyes latched onto Duncan. They were narrowed to deadly slits.

"You," she snarled. 

Duncan gulped and stood up, holding his hands up in front of him

"hey.. sweetheart... Don't be rash now," he chuckled nervously, backing up as she slowly advanced towards him. 

"you really think you could steal from me?" Courtney hissed "You picked the wrong day to fuck with Courtney Taint, asshole!" 

Courtney let out an angry cry as she kicked Duncan straight in the crotch. He doubled forward, pain clear on his face as tears came to his eyes. 

Courtney grabbed her wallet and case and slammed it shut, locking it back up. 

She slowly fixed her hair and stepped over Duncan on the ground

"It's a shame, you'd be pretty cute if you weren't so stupid," she laughed. Duncan glared at her as she walked back to the door.

Courtney stopped and reached down, grabbing some cash out of her wallet and throwing it at Jack.

"Here's some cash. You might wanna get your nose fixed," she hissed. And with that, she left slamming the door behind him. 

Jack groaned and slowly glared at Duncan

"Not. One. Word." Duncan snapped